minor UI twig - home icon on new branch

hampsterx

hi there,

Developer got confused today as when he creates a new branch and switches to that branch, the home icon is still sitting on the parent branch. Its quite clear top left as it says "branch /main/myBranch" but to avoid confusion the home icon should probably change state or something.

yep, told you it was minor ;)

TiM

Hi TiM,

well, when you create a new branch and you switch to it, the new branch is obviously empty and you are loading the branch base changeset... the one with the house icon....

We thought in a better way to draw it but that's the best idea we got.... Any suggestions?

Regards,

Manu

mmmm

I really don't know a good solution, you have the working branch always on the top left area, so it's clear in which branch you are working on. And the house actually is telling you the truth... you are in that changeset due to it's the starting point of the branch.

A "cm status" command will return you the same value as the house...

I think this is a case of the implementation confusing how our brains work. I read through the Plastic Selectors article series on the blog (http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2008/03/plastic-selectors-welcome-to-dark-side.html) which I think plays into what's going on here.

In part II you talk about the selector for a newly created branch. I copied and pasted it below:

rep "default"
   path "/"
     branch "/task001"
     co  "/task001"
   path "/"
     branch "/main"
     co  "/task001"

The house is showing us where our work is coming from, but we are much more concerned with where our work is going to end up because that's our focus. I don't so much care that the file we are working on came from the main branch because it doesn't exist in our task001 branch yet. I do constantly worry about committing things onto the wrong branch.

I hope I read everything right and what I've said is relevant. In the end I don't think it's a deal breaker for anyone, but I think this is just an idea about why it can be confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived