SQL Express 2008 R2 installation problem and fix

bvautier

Just spent the last 2 hours trying to get Plastic SCM to run with SQL Express 2008 R2.

When trying to create a new Repository it seemed that Plastic was not able to login to SQLExpress (This was a red herring).

In reality the problem is that Plastic tries to create some files in the default installation directory C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server, which does not have write privileges.

The fix is to specify a directory you know has write privileges to create the first repository in the db.conf file.

<DbConfig>
 <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
 <ConnectionString>SERVER=SERVER\SQLEXPRESS2008R2;trusted_connection=yes;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
 <DatabasePath>D:\PlasticSCM</DatabasePath>
</DbConfig>

This is the file I had before I could get it to work (Notice the DatabasePath tags are missing):

<DbConfig>
 <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
 <ConnectionString>SERVER=SERVER\SQLEXPRESS2008R2;trusted_connection=yes;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
</DbConfig>

Everything is working great now... but I wished I didn't waste so much time getting the thing to work in the first place.

Hi,

We will improve our documentation about this, it seems that is not clear enough.

Please, enter the following link for further info about PlasticSCM and SQLServer backend:

http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2008/08/configure-sql-server-database-backend.html

Nevertheless, the server log file, which is located at C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server\plastic.server.log, should state that the database backend was unable to create the database file (access denied).

Next time, please write a post at this forum and will try to solve your issues as soon as possible, we do want to help you and minimize the time setting up your system.

Sorry for the inconveniences, and thanks,

-Jesús M.

Archived