Branch Explorer Crashing

carpediemevive

I know I started a topic with this exact same title before, but this is completely different I swear. I also promise to stop breaking the Branch Explorer very soon.

I have a fairly new project that consists of two branches. The second branch was created from and merged back into the main branch. I then made some changes directly to main and labelled that new changeset.

Now whenever I open up the Branch Explorer it crashes. I've tried very hard to get a stack trace by adding it to my client.conf file, but I just can't seem to make that work for me. I did however get one from starting the GUI from the command line and output standard error to a file. This is the stack trace I go when I did that

Unhandled Exception: Codice.CM.Common.CmException: The specified attribute realization can't be found.
  at np.h()
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'm running version 4.0.237.2 on the client and server

From the exception above this clearly has something to do with Attributes. I remember I played with those a little bit ago, and this might be my first commit since I created one. I had an attribute in one repository that I attached to a couple of branches. I didn't really need it for anything, I was just seeing what I could do with them and branch explorer custom formatting. So I went in and deleted it. Well this really broke it. Now every time I opened Plastic it would crash.

I then decided it probably had to do with my custom formatting rules in the Plastic GUI all tied to that attribute. I went in to the plastic4 conf files (C:\documents and settings\USERNAME\local settings\application data\plastic4) and emptied out the queries.conf file and removed the branchexplorer.cfg file. This seems to have fixed the issue. I'm going to add a request to uservoice that on startup and when viewing the application explorer, if the attributes aren't there the custom formatting rule just be deleted.

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

it looks like you have defined a conditional format query rule in the branch explorer that uses an attribute and it the server is not happy about it.

You can check the file branchexplorer.cfg in c:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Local\plastic4\ and review the lines that define the conditional format rules. They look like this:

filters.conditional.rule0.branches_query=name like "task%"

You can even remove them and see if the problem goes away. Anyway, we should recover better from a problem like that.

Cheers!

David

• 9 months later...

Any word on when this might be fixed?  I noticed that the user voice has this a "Planned".  It looks like the original post is over a year old, but the problem is still present in versions up to 4.1.10.447 (latest as of today)

Just experienced this myself - while the GUI doesn't crash, it will not render the branch explorer for projects other than the one for which the attributes are present - which makes the attribute system useless, except in the case you only ever work on a single project (don't have more than 1 workspace).

It looks like my only option is to delete all of the conditional format rules I created for my main project just so I can look at the branch explorer view for another project that doesn't have the attributes

Hi,

The GUI crash issue was fixed. But I´m not able to reproduce your issue.  I removed an attribute so I had a conditional format defined based on an attribute that no longer existed, but the branch explorer works fine even if I use a different workspace to render the branch explorer.

Which Plastic version are you using? Are you available to get connected or can you tell me briefly the steps you followed?

Regards,

Carlos

The issue is that I have everything functional with a project - attributes, and the conditional formats.  Then, I attempt to open a different project branch explorer and end up with an error "The specified attribute realization can't be found." - and a nice black, non-rendered branch explorer.  As I indicated, it doesn't "crash" the app, it just fails in a different manner for the same situation.  There are no custom attributes on the other repositories, but the conditional format tries to apply to those repositories branch explorer view.

I have not removed any attributes from these other projects - I just never created any.  I only created attributes on the main project, and I only added conditional format information to the main project (which seems to apply to every project).

The "ultimate resolution" as pointed out previously:

I then decided it probably had to do with my custom formatting rules in the Plastic GUI all tied to that attribute. I went in to the plastic4 conf files (C:\documents and settings\USERNAME\local settings\application data\plastic4) and emptied out the queries.conf file and removed the branchexplorer.cfg file. This seems to have fixed the issue. I'm going to add a request to uservoice that on startup and when viewing the application explorer, if the attributes aren't there the custom formatting rule just be deleted.

I expect this would fix my problem as well - but as noted, then it makes the attributes and formatting rules useless, since there appears to be no way to make this work with all projects. Maybe I just need to add those attributes [as duplicates] to the other project(s) so the formatting rules function.  If that is the case, then at the very least, when creating an attribute there should be a way to have it create it on all projects so this isn't a problem when switching workspaces/repositories.

I guess that what I expected to happen is that the custom formatting rules would just silently "fail" - since the return result of the query should be empty (it doesn't apply to any elements), but instead it fails with looking up an attribute that never existed.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting the error message and it is all in the custom format rules - it just seems that you can't do those rules without the attributes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived