Possible bug in PlasticSCM v4.0.237.8 in VS2008 (with steps and workaround)

sbrassard

I came across an issue with Plastic which in my opinion is a bug. Basically, the problem I am having is that when I want to check in changes to a solution file, I am prompted with the "New Workspace" window. As if the solution doesn't know that its already part of a workspace and controlled in the repository. Also, I have 2 repositories for this example. One is a website project and another is a class library. The solution file for the web project contains the existing classlibrary1 project. Regardless whether this is right or wrong, this is how I am working. If the website project doesn't contain the added classlibrary1 project, and any change occurs in the website project solution, I can easily right click the solution and see the pending changes window appear, check in my change and all is well. However, if I have the classlibrary1 project added to my website project solution, and attempt to check in any solution changes, I am greeted with a "New workspace" window. The only work around is to go to View -> Plastic SCM -> "Pending Changes under Solution"

Here are the following steps to reproduce it.

1) Create 2 repositories (webproject and classproject) and 2 workspaces that point to each repo respectively

2) Using the Zip files attached (.NET solutions), unzip the WebSiteProject1 zip to the webproject workspace and the ClassProject1 to the classproject workspace

3) Open the webproject workspace folder, right click, select PlasticSCM from explorer shell, and select "Checkin Pending Changes"

4) From the webproject workspace folder, open the .NET solution file. Using Solution Explorer, right click the first item in solution explorer (the solution itself) and select "Add to Source Control", and right click it again and select "Checkin"

5) If you right click the solution again, and select checkin, the pending changes window appears. This should be the correct behavior... Now, lets cause it to not display correctly... (you can close the pending changes window - this was to prove that this window displays correctly, but keep Visual Studio open)

6) From the classlibrary1 workspace folder, right click, select PlasticSCM from explorer shell, and select "Checkin Pending Changes"

7) Go back to Visual Studio, right click the solution in the Solution Explorer and select Add->Existing Project and select the ClassProject1 proj file from the classproject workspace folder.

8) Right click the newly added ClassLibrary1 project in Solution Explorer and select "Add to Source Control"... at this point you will also notice the Solution File has been changed (youll see the red checkmark)

9) Right click the solution in Solution Explorer and select "CheckIn", Here is where you now see the "New Workspace" window...

10) the workaround is to navigate to the (menu) View -> Plastic SCM -> "Pending Changes under Solution" and check in your changes

I would like to see this fixed if possible in a future release where I can right click the solution and have it display the "pending changes" window instead of the "new workspace" window.

Thanks

WebSiteProject.zip

ClassLibrary1.zip

Hi sbrassard,

It seems that you're trying to configure a solution that uses more than one Plastic SCM workspace, that is not directly supported by the Visual Studio plugin. At this moment, the Visual Studio plugin is designed to work with a single Plastic SCM workspace. If you need to use more that one repo in a workspace you could use the Xlinks technology to mount several repositories in a single workspace.

Anyway, tomorrow we will take a look to your sample projects and try to find a suitable solution for you if possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

danipen,

Thanks for the follow up.

That is correct. I am using 2 separate workspaces with one visual studio solution file. I agree that Xlinks may be a solution, but Xlinks wasn't available in version 3 and now that it's been released in version 4, its still at best only "half-baked" in my opinion. This was discussed in this thread: http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/673-problems-with-xlinks-and-branches/page__fromsearch__1 where I was told by Manu that the "Merge Now" feature is not available yet. And when I have multiple projects using the same classlibrary, problems arise when trying to merge / rebase code.

So, its nice to have the latest release software of PlasticSCM4 and get people using it, but the basic utilities of merging/rebasing is not even baked in to version 4.0, which is supposed to be a major strength of Plastic. Aside from that, I would like to see some kind of GUI for Xlinks since Plastic has been touted as being a great GUI SCM tool, so I shouldn't have to bounce to a command line for this, but that's a different topic. The result is the same. Xlinks is not feature complete. The bottom line is since Xlinks is not ready, my teams only option is either to use separate workspaces and live with the problems indefinitely or quite possibly abandon Plastic and consider blogging about our experiences while researching a product that will work with visual studio. I would hope that someone could see the value in what we are trying to do here and assist us in making it work. So, with all things considered, xlinks is not an option for us presently for how we work with our projects.

Thanks for your reply. I do hope that we can continue to make progress on Plastic and that my opinions and constructive criticism assists in improving a great SCM to be even better.

Hello sbrassard,

Your VS setup is not supported in this moment, BUT, the "Merge now" feature is released in the BL237.7 so you can upgrade to the current one (BL237.8) and give it a try with the Xlinks, I'm going to test it too to check if it fits to your needs.

Manu.

Hello sbrassard,

Your VS setup is not supported in this moment, BUT, the "Merge now" feature is released in the BL237.7 so you can upgrade to the current one (BL237.8) and give it a try with the Xlinks, I'm going to test it too to check if it fits to your needs.

Manu.

I originally tested Xlinks with BL237.6, that is where the "Merge now" feature I tested didn't seem to work correctly and didn't produce any changes to merge (see my link above in a previous post). I updated to 237.8 and only saw release notes that fixed a pending changes "bug". Is this the bug that wasn't recognizing any changes in the "Merge now" window with Xlinks and is fixed?

Regardless, I don't think asking for full support of a Visual Studio integration is uncommon. I would like to right click my solution and select checkin and NOT see the "New Workspace" window appear. Thats a MAJOR problem. I may have tried it a few months ago, and I think my solution was messed up since it may have changed my workspace and repository... anyways, it would be better to have a message explaining that ..."Visual Studio does not support checking in to multiple workspaces at this time. Would you like to see pending changes for your current workspace?"

Regards

Archived