Import Replication Package Question

tom.peters

Good Day!

I am currently setting up our shop as fully-distributed and, as of yet, we do not have the firewall permissions setup to allow push/pull between machines. Therefore, I am using the replication packages.

My question is: When importing a replication package to my /main branch, is the merge done automatically? I ask because I was surprised to see two revisions on my item after I finished.

Here is what I did:

1. Both servers are in sync
  2. Create child branch from /main on PC001. Branch is named RepTest001
  3. On PC001, switched workspace to /main/RepTest001
  4. Checked in a change
  5. Created a replication package from /main/RepTest001
  6. Copied PKG to SRV001
  7. In the branches view, I right-clicked /main and selected Import Replication Package
  8. I selected the PKG file and pointed to SRV001 and the appropriate repository
  9. Import seems to work, as /main/RepTest001 now exists in SRV001.
  10. I did a diff on the branch and saw my change.
  11. Therefore, I merged from /main/RepTest001 to /main
  12. My item shows two revisions: the first seems to be the import and is accredited to /main/RepTest001. The second is my merge. These two revisions are identical.

So, basically, does an import of the PKG to /main both import the branch and merge it to /main?

Thanks!

Tom

Hello Tom,

you are using PlasticSCM 4.0 right?

If the file merge operation remark is "Changes only in source contributor" a new revision is not needed due to the source file revision (The one in branch RepTest001) will replace the one in destination branch (Main branch).

You can review the file history to check if truly there is a new revision in main branch (Right click on the file and View History), maybe you think there is a new revison of the file due to you see a new changeset as the result of the merge.

So, basically, does an import of the PKG to /main both import the branch and merge it to /main?

If you create a new replication package from main branch of SRV001 repository the merge link and the merge result changeset will be included inside the package so you don't have to re-merge again the RepTest001 branch :)

Manu.

Hi Tom,

what are you doing in 3.0?? Move on to 4.0!!! hehehehe

Never mind, in PlasticSCM 3.0 a new file revision will be created in the main branch as the result of the merge, it will have the same content as the one in the RepTest001 branch... pointless... In 4.0 we replace the loaded revision in main branch with the one in the task branch without creating a useless revision...

But the thing about the merge and replication is the same, you can create a package and the new changeset, revision and merge link will be included on it.

Regards,

Manu

...but the upgrade process looks a bit sticky....

Upgrade to 3.0.187.33

cm fast-export repo@localhost:8084 repo.fast-export

Copy the repo.fast-export file to a machine with PlasticSCM 4.0.239.0 installed and from that machine using the cm.exe(v4.0):

$ cm fast-import repo@localhost:8087 repo.fast-export

Restart the PlasticSCM 4.0 server and start working! That's all!

Hi Manu -

I upgraded to 3.0.187.35 and tried the fast export. I got the following error:

C:\Plastic Upgrade>cm fast-export <myrep>@localhost:8084 <myrep>.fast-export

671 changesets retrieved

671 changesets will be exported

You don't have permissions for operation advancedquery.

C:\Plastic Upgrade>

I looked in the forum and saw that granting 'advancedquery' to the Branches resolves this, but I do not see that permission, at all.

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hola.

Para este mismo caso (ya hice todo lo que está apuntado anteriormente), cuando estoy haciendo el "fast export" en un punto del proceso obtengo el siguiente error:

Error: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list

Originalmente intenté la exportación desde nuestro servidor de Plastic (v3.0.187.19) el cual tiene toda nuestra historia desde hace mucho tiempo y obtuve el error mencionado. Pensé que era algo relativo al tamaño del repositorio y decidí entonces hacer lo mismo en mi máquina local con un repositorio mucho más pequeño. Lamentablemente obtuve el mismo error al cabo de unos minutos.

¿Alguna idea? Gracias.

Hola.

Para este mismo caso (ya hice todo lo que está apuntado anteriormente), cuando estoy haciendo el "fast export" en un punto del proceso obtengo el siguiente error:

Error: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list

Originalmente intenté la exportación desde nuestro servidor de Plastic (v3.0.187.19) el cual tiene toda nuestra historia desde hace mucho tiempo y obtuve el error mencionado. Pensé que era algo relativo al tamaño del repositorio y decidí entonces hacer lo mismo en mi máquina local con un repositorio mucho más pequeño. Lamentablemente obtuve el mismo error al cabo de unos minutos.

¿Alguna idea? Gracias.

Olvidé mencionar que en mi máquina tengo la versión 3.0.187.30

Archived