Plastic Server 4 service fails to start at system boot

I've tried various configurations, including Automatic (Delayed Start), but the Plastic Server 4 service fails to start at system boot. The service will start and run correctly with no issues if started manually after logging in. The service is configured to log on as the Local System account.

The most likely cause is that the PlasticSCM 4 service is trying to start before the SQL Server it depends on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

After following the knowledge base suggestions listed above, the service started at boot time; however, I had to restart the service to get it to function correctly. Before restarting the service, I got a "You don't have permissions for operation view." error when starting the client. After restarting the service, I did not receive the error.

Hi nightshade,

please do the following:

Stop the PlasticSCM service

Move the "plastic.server.log" file into a "plastic.server.log.bak" file.

Restart the computer and if the PlasticSCM is not started automatically please send to me the new log file "plastic.server.log"

Regards,

Manu.

• 1 year later...

If the install didn't do this automatically, you can set the "DependOnService" registry key to the correct DB server you are using - if you are using a Local DB (instead of a DB on another machine)

Add the following using RegEdit:

For Plastic 3:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Plastic Server

DependOnService: reg_multi_sz = "<service name>"

For Plastic 4:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Plastic Server 4

DependOnService: reg_multi_sz = "<service name>"

This also assumes that the DB is not embedded (like firebird) - and is installed as another service on the same machine.

What DB are you using? 

I believe the default SQL SE is installed as a service - which might show up like this: MICROSOFT##SSEE or MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS

DependOnService: reg_multi_sz = "MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS"

if you have chosen to use MSSQL Full version - and it is installed on the same server as Plastic, the service name is: MSSQLSERVER  (unless you used a "named instance" during install of SQL Server)

I don't know how to fix a resume after suspend - I was under the impression the system state was saved, then reloaded such that applications couldn't tell the system was ever powered off.

However, another depencency to fix the server startup is to make it depenend on the SPOOLER service (since it loads last)  This means the plastic server won't start until after that service (which could take a copule of minutes after you could successfully log onto the server) but it does seem to work.

I was experiencing the same problem.  I set the service to be dependent on Spooler, then set the service to delayed start (not sure if that was necessary, but it worked)

Hi nightshade,

please do the following:

Stop the PlasticSCM service

Move the "plastic.server.log" file into a "plastic.server.log.bak" file.

Restart the computer and if the PlasticSCM is not started automatically please send to me the new log file "plastic.server.log"

Regards,

Manu.

I did this and my problems seems resolved!!! 

The log file had 100MB and the logger was not "auto-changing" the file.

I guess it looks like a bug in the logger config :P :P :P

Archived