different server

Here's my scenario,

I installed plasticscm server one one computer (default sqlserver ce )

I then installed the client on another machine.

I am using the username password scenario.

I then added some of the directories/files on the client to be monitored by plasticscm.

Things worked as I expected them to.

I wanted to move to sqlserver 2008 rs, therefore I needed a better computer for the server.

Instead of removing the directories from a repository...I simply Installed plasticscm on my sqlserver 2008 machine and set it up for the same username and pwd.

on the client

I kept having problems connecting to the server and eventually uninstalled the client and reinstalled.

After that I could connect, however I get the following error:

the resuested name is valid,but no data orf requested typoe uis avilable.

(see attached wor d doc)

Upon inspection, the directories I had setup to be monitored by plasticscm in my previous installation still have the plastic scm check flag on them.

I'm assuming I have a "orphaned" repository or something similair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

errormsg.doc

It is still trying to connect to the old server. This is definitely something we've to improve. The change of server is everything but easy.

Steps:

- Open a command line window

- go to your workspace

- edit .plastic\plastic.selector

You'll see something like:

repository "codice"
 path "/"
   smartbranch "/main/SCM10365"

Edit "repository" and replace it by (rest as you had it):

repository "YOURNEWREPO@YOURNEWSERVER"
 path "/"
   smartbranch "/main/SCM10365"

Then

cm update

and it will get fixed.

Thanks for the reply.

I had success editing the file....but cannot get cm update to work.

if I enter cm update I get the help screen for cm update.

I've tried several different scenarios based pon the help and can't seem to get it to work.

if i edit the plastic.selector file, the file nw has the new server name.

However if i try anything is plasticscm I get the same error with the old server. I'm guessing the cm update isn't working .

Any ideas?

below are some captures of the cmd window.

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>cm update .\

Error: Cannot perform a partial update when the workspace is out of date.

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>cm update

Updates items in the workspace.

Usage:

cm update [options] path

path: Path to update

Options:

--forced: Forces updating items to the revision specified in the selector.

--override: Overrides changed files outside Plastic SCM control.

Their content will be overwritten with the server content.

--verbose: Shows more information.

--noparallel: The update process runs in not parallel mode.

See remarks for more info.

--cloaked: Includes the cloaked items in the update operation.

If this option is not specified, those items that are cloaked will be

ignored in the operation.

--format: Sets a given output format.

{0} path, {1} date, {2} owner, {3} comment, {4} changeset.

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>cm update forced

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>cm update .

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>cm update cls

C:\Users\MARKGA~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIS~1\PLASTI~1>

I think your only problem was you didn't specify the path correctly.

If you want to update the entire contents of a workspace (say for example rooted at c:\plastic\mycode), do the following in your cmd window:

c:

cd\plastic\mycode

cm update .

Plastic will print a status for each file/directory added/updated in the workspace.

The only thing you missed was specifying "." (current directory) as the root path for the update operation.

I recently had problems switching from a central server to the local server, and reusing the pre-existing workspace already in place (I think similar to what you are trying, except you are going from one central server to a different central server). I got the following advice in a post from Manu, after trying some less than successful hacks on my own (for step 1, replace local server with your new central server name/port):

------------

1) Configure the client to connect to your local server.

2) Open the GUI -> It must fail since the wks is configured to use the old connection, it's fine, accept the error and close the GUI.

3) Open a command line tool, change your directory to your workspace path and issue "del .plastic\plastic.wktree" and then "cm update ." (Notice the last dot "." in the cm command, it's not a typo)

This last update operation is not going to download anything, it's only going to re-build the wktree file.

Obviously the replicated repository must have the same name as the central one, if not you have to change the repository name inside the "plastic.selector" file inside the ".plastic" directory.

------------

BTW for step 3 I would recommend saving a copy of the plastic.wktree first before deleting it, or renaming it instead, in case you want to recover it later.

I didn't get a chance to try this yet, it may fix your problem as well?

• 2 weeks later...

actually what I want right now is to have everything associated with plasticscm off of my machine.

If I do an uninstall, the green check marks persist.

I might try the new version, but after this experience I'm not sure.

this looks like the type of product I was looking for, but all this command line "." stuff is not how I perceived this product.

point me to how get all traces of the install off both my server and client machines and I'll try your new version.

thanks,

Mark

ok.

sorry got busy onother things.

I ran this on my machine and got no errors.

however all my folders still have the green checkmark on them.

does this mean I haven't successfully removed it?

Mmmmm It seems everything is fine... did you run the update? Do you have issues opening the GUI?

get an error that a repository couldn't be found.

I also stiill have the green check marks on my folder I had "in" plastiv scm.

I know from previous experience that if I uninstall plasticscm that they will persist.

My immediate concern is removing all trace of plasticscm from my client and server machines.

What is the process for that?

thanks,

Mark

Hello mgarner1980,

I'm not sure if you have you mail notifications configured, in order to enable it you have to click on your profile settings post-112-0-46114200-1331800871_thumb.png and then configure the "Notification options".

Tell me when you are available and I'll try to connect with you.

• 5 months later...

I recently had problems switching from a central server to the local server, and reusing the pre-existing workspace already in place (I think similar to what you are trying, except you are going from one central server to a different central server). I got the following advice in a post from Manu, after trying some less than successful hacks on my own (for step 1, replace local server with your new central server name/port):

------------

1) Configure the client to connect to your local server.

2) Open the GUI -> It must fail since the wks is configured to use the old connection, it's fine, accept the error and close the GUI.

3) Open a command line tool, change your directory to your workspace path and issue "del .plastic\plastic.wktree" and then "cm update ." (Notice the last dot "." in the cm command, it's not a typo)

This last update operation is not going to download anything, it's only going to re-build the wktree file.

Obviously the replicated repository must have the same name as the central one, if not you have to change the repository name inside the "plastic.selector" file inside the ".plastic" directory.

------------

BTW for step 3 I would recommend saving a copy of the plastic.wktree first before deleting it, or renaming it instead, in case you want to recover it later.

I didn't get a chance to try this yet, it may fix your problem as well?

I tried the above and it fixed most of the problems with CM but the GUI plastic.exe is stil somehow referencing the old server.. log files with bolded OLD server name:

2012-08-15 15:12:01,797 DEBUG Channel - Create conection 1092 ms. (host:mmg-itop.mydomain.com port:8087 ssl:False)

2012-08-15 15:12:01,798 ERROR CmProxy - Error invoking method [GetRepositoryInfo] [plastic://mmg-itop.mydomain.com:8087/RepositoryHandler] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.100.2.107:8087: mmg-itop.mydomain.com:8087

2012-08-15 15:12:03,236 ERROR plastic - Plastic SCM client version: 4.1.10.333

2012-08-15 15:12:03,236 ERROR plastic -

Error message: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.x.x.107:8087

2012-08-15 15:12:03,236 DEBUG plastic -

StackTrace: at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args,

Double check that your client is configured to work with the new server (plastic.exe --configure) and also check you don't have any problematic connection profile (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\plastic4\profiles.conf). If you have any "profiles.conf" file rename it to a different name and try again.

I did that all that too but it still didn't work, I deleted all workspaces and re-added them pointing them to the existing file structure I had. that fixed the problem. Actually, i have to do this process once again now because I've created a cname record for the server to avoid having to change it in the future... http://scc.myinternaldomain.com/ . thanks!

Archived