Xlink Questions

Oscar

Hi, Plastic,

How did you create a readonly Xlink? I did it step by step as instructed in

http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-link-repositories-using-xlinks.html

. But when I tried to check in the xlinked directory, Plastic pop up a dialog telling me that I cannot make changes to a readonly xlinked target.

Then I unchecked out that directory, added it to the control first and re-did xlink:

D:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main>cm xlink srs_tvolhd / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

Can't create the xlink because the entry already exists: d:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main\srs_tvolhd

I tried the following also:

D:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main>cm xlink -e srs_tvolhd / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

Can't edit the xlink because it does not exist at path: d:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main\srs_tvolhd

Neither worked. So how should I do it?

Other questions:

1. Is xlink information stored locally or on server? If I create a repo, in which I set up a folder xlinked to another repo. Do my co-workers need to run those xlink commands on their computers again to set up their workspace?

2. Is it possible to undo an xlink?

3. If I create a label in the parent repo and apply it to my workspace contents. Will the same label be created in the xlinked external repos?

4. For writable xlinks, can I do merge in the parent workspace for the items from the external repos?

Thanks,

-Oscar

Hi Oscar,

D:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main>cm xlink srs_tvolhd / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

Can't create the xlink because the entry already exists: d:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main\srs_tvolhd

I tried the following also:

D:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main>cm xlink -e srs_tvolhd / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

Can't edit the xlink because it does not exist at path: d:\plasticwksps\oscar_xlink_test1_main\srs_tvolhd

Ok, first one fails because the entry is already controlled. Second one because you try to "edit" an xlink, but the xlink doesn't exist.

The way to go:

cm xlink srs_NEW / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

where src_NEW is NOT under source control, it is a new entry, like creating a new directory.

1. Is xlink information stored locally or on server? If I create a repo, in which I set up a folder xlinked to another repo. Do my co-workers need to run those xlink commands on their computers again to set up their workspace?

On server. That's the beauty compared to old selector way of working in 3.0.

2. Is it possible to undo an xlink?

You mean delete? Yes, like a normal directory entry.

3. If I create a label in the parent repo and apply it to my workspace contents. Will the same label be created in the xlinked external repos?

Label in 4.0 applies ONLY to a changeset. The beauty is that, since your child repos are xlinked, going to the label on the parent, loads the right children configuration.

4. For writable xlinks, can I do merge in the parent workspace for the items from the external repos?

Items on children and parent will never merge. The thing is that running a merge on the parent will launch the merge on the children too, as a single merge, instead of having to merge N xlinked repositories one by one.

Hi Oscar,

Ok, first one fails because the entry is already controlled. Second one because you try to "edit" an xlink, but the xlink doesn't exist.

The way to go:

cm xlink srs_NEW / lb:srs_tvolhd_release_2.0.0.0@srs_tvolhd@10.1.30.201:8087

where src_NEW is NOT under source control, it is a new entry, like creating a new directory.

The problem is, after the command is run, src_NEW is shown as checked-out, so I need to check it in. But when I try to check it in, Plastic warns me I cannot change items in a read only xlink. I actually cannot check it in.

What version are you trying? I think that your problem is fixed in BL239.2 (the last published on the website):

Bug

XLinks: An error message appeared when trying to checkin a readonly

xlink creation from the GUI when it was the only change. Fixed.

I think this will solve your problem.

Best,

Luis

Archived