Feature Request: Branch subscriptions

SWSBB

Hi guys,

wouldn't it be great if one could subscribe to a branch and get autom. notifications when this branch changes? I would love this feature ;)

Maybe subscriptions on single folders/files in a branch are interesting, too. To keep the notification mass low.

Kind regards,

BB

funny you should say that, I just built a similar feature to allow a developer to checkout a branch to a subdomain for testing, you can select the users to notify, when the developer commits on that branch it sends out an update email with the checkin comment etc. Ditto when the branch is removed from the subdomain. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Quite often our branches are very short, quite a few bug fixes and small improvements. For us it would be better to have RSS feeds by developer perhaps except for large branches, but even those we often subbranch for versions so hmm.

Hi hempsterx,

that's also a good idea.

I don't care if it's a rss feed, an email notification or some notification system in plastic itself.

But i think one should have the chance to react on changes made on specific branches or files.

Regards,

BB

well there are triggers available that you can use to script anything you might want to do but it would be nice if it was a feature of the plastic GUI client. Similar to how most wiki's allow you to subscribe to a page (err branch) or a contributor (err developer) etc. I would definitely use this feature.

funny you should say that, I just built a similar feature to allow a developer to checkout a branch to a subdomain for testing, you can select the users to notify, when the developer commits on that branch it sends out an update email with the checkin comment etc. Ditto when the branch is removed from the subdomain. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

For PlasticSCM???

Hi guys,

wouldn't it be great if one could subscribe to a branch and get autom. notifications when this branch changes? I would love this feature ;)

Maybe subscriptions on single folders/files in a branch are interesting, too. To keep the notification mass low.

Kind regards,

BB

You can do it using triggers! :)

Obviusly you need to code it but I think is not complicated, what do you think?

Manu,

Yes you can code it and in your triggers manual you even have that as an example. Just it would be nice if the client had some built in notification support, Github, Atlassian Fisheye, etc are good examples. Eg "Activity Streams", "Real time notification" etc all built into the app.

Manu,

Yes you can code it and in your triggers manual you even have that as an example. Just it would be nice if the client had some built in notification support, Github, Atlassian Fisheye, etc are good examples. Eg "Activity Streams", "Real time notification" etc all built into the app.

Well, I do like this idea too, BUUUUUT, I think it goes all the way against what Plastic SCM is made for.

Unless you're using the "centralized mode", why would you like to know the developer X made a change in a branch in his machine?

I think that's more effective give just to the "right people" the right to push changes to the "special branches".

Well, I do like this idea too, BUUUUUT, I think it goes all the way against what Plastic SCM is made for.

Unless you're using the "centralized mode", why would you like to know the developer X made a change in a branch in his machine?

I think that's more effective give just to the "right people" the right to push changes to the "special branches".

You are right.

But there could be an option to select the repository you want notifications from.

Then there could be a change in a developers repository which you don't care about, but as soon as it's merged to the central repository you'll get your notification.

You have your point, obviously it's better for the final user to have the notification system just out of the box, I just wanted to say that in most cases it's perfectly doable using the PlasticSCM triggers.

You can add the idea into the user voice system and we will try to have it done. We work everyday to have the best and more complete product out there.

• 1 year later...

*bump* This feature would be killer!!

About to modify out checkin trigger to store the changeset details in a logging table in our system so that we can either build an RSS feed or maybe a custom page, so we can track everybody's changes and work better as a team by being more involved in each others code. 

I have been trying to install http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/overview but it's not even that ideal as it's targeted around code reviews which by and large are manually requested, rather than as a tool to monitor the steady stream of code changes occurring daily. I think both are required, partial attention of individual changesets and manually initiated code reviews of branches.

Yes I know there is a "changesets" view in plastic but truth be told I hardly ever look at it and certainly not as a daily activity. 

Cheers,

TiM

Archived