Eclipse merging broken

msanda

Hey guys,

So i have this very weird problem. When i create a new branch and do work in it, after committing and then switching to the parent branch, i cannot merge any of the branches. Now the weird part is that i can merge using the gui tool, but merging from eclipse gives me this error .

"Bad Difference format: start@_@line APPLYdef# ..... etc.." the screen shot of the error is in this post.

Now the machine this is happneing on, is a Mac os x laptop and the error only happens when merging from eclipse. As stated the merge from the gui tool works just as expected. To try and find out the cause of this error, i have switched workspaces several times in different branches to see if there was any corruption in the data from eclipse side. But i get the same error every time and only through eclipse. Now to make the error even stranger, is that if i go to another machine that is not experiencing this and switch to the problem branch, i will get the same error. But if i try and merge before i switch branches, it will merge properly.

So to sum up.

on machine X ( where the branch was created in eclipse) , merging the parent branch with source data from teh child branch gives an error ( see pic for error).

On machine y ( remote mahcine that did not create the branch) the branch will merge from in eclipse. But only when i have never switched to the child branch.

running a cm checkdatabase reveals

" The database are about to be checked. Please wait ....

No error detected"

does anyone know how to fix this error?

post-794-0-13015200-1331612381_thumb.jpg

Hi msanda,

it seems the new fsprotection changes for the merge system have broken the eclipse difference format :(

I will insert it right now into our bug tracking system. We will prepare a release with the fix ASAP.

Can you tell us your Plastic SCM version? (cm verion)

not a problem at all. We have a couple of developers using plastic currently and they all are having this issue. right now they are just continuing ot create new branches and do changes as they see fit, and at the end of the day they merge using the gui tool.

Also what is the status of the intellij plugin ( i am seriously considering moving to intellij as ecipse is becoming more of a nightmare every day).

Plasticscm is definitely not the problem with us and eclipse. Eclipse for some really strange design choices does not like to play well with others. Right now the project we are working on is a complete maven project and the integration of maven with eclipse is sub standard and full of catches. eg. setting output folders in different directories outside eclipse breaks eclipse debugging. The one thing i did notice when i moved from svn to plastic is that during a switch Eclipse consistently rebuilds the workspace, and for one eclipse is slow so after moving to plasticscm we are noticing this re-build considerable more now. I am sure it has nothing to do with plastic since eclipse sees a workspace change so its trying to rebuild the project. one solution is to disable the auto build, but then that makes validation and debugging more annoying for the programmers..

These and other internal reason are reasons why we wanted to move off to intellij.

I really miss C# and Visual studio..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys not to rush you or anything. But it seems this is getting worse. Before i will have plastic complain about the merge once a week, now its happening every day on multiple dev machines. That and the numerous problems i am having with eclipse and maven is causing me to pull my hair out. Is it possible for you guys to branch of the fix so that i could apply this asap.

As of right now i am telling the developers the quick fix for this is to use the gui tool to do a merger. but this sometimes leads eclipse to continually rebuild our projects in a loop. and the only fix currently is for our developers to delete the project from eclipse workspace and re-import our 1gb sourcecode back into eclipse. ( yeah we are not getting much work done)

thank you so much.. On behalf of all the developers on my side, we will like to tell you that we love you guys... If we had the db stuff i talked about in the other ticket completed. you will have us in your hands for life.. LOL

Archived