Organizing my projects ...

Hi,

We are finally setting up Plastic in our organization. I am trying to configure both workspaces and repositories but I cannot find a good solution to answer to our needs. That is why I will explain my scenario so you may be able to advise about the best solution:

Scenario:

We are 12 developers, each of us work on a single project at a time, but it is very common that two developers share the same project, and exceptionally, even 3 or 4 people would be involved on the same project.

Our projects are located on a file server with the following structure: DEVELOPMENT/Client/Project

DEVELOPMENT

\ClientA
          \Project1
                  Documentation
                  Aplication1
                  Aplication2
                  WebPortal
          \Project2
          \ProjectN
   \ClientB
           \Project1
           \ ProjectN

The usual thing is that if someone is working on DEVELOPMENT\Client2\Project1, he would need whatever is under the project, that is, documentation and applications.

We have installed Plastic (PlasticSCM-professional-1.5.63.5) in the server. Type of authentication: Active Directory and Plastic client (PlasticSCM-professional-1.5.63.5) in the client machines

CONFIGURATION

I have tried to create a structure similar to the following one in Plastic but I am not sure how to name Workspaces and Repositories. I have created a repository for each project, with the following names:

ClientA\Project1
 ClientA\Project2
 ClientB\Project2

I have created this structure on a folder in my machine which emulated the server folder in which actual development files are located. This folder is the one I have used as Workspace for each of the projects (C:\DEVELOPMENT)

DOUBTS AND PROBLEMS

1. I am not sure whether this configuration is the most convenient one, or I should rather create several WorkSpaces, one for each project and using just one repository:

C:\DEVELOPMENT\ClientA\Project1
      C:\DEVELOPMENT\ClientA\Project2
      C:\DEVELOPMENT\ClientB\Project2

2. How can projects be moved from one repository to another?

3. How can I change from one repository to another, but not manually changing the selector?

4. I have not been able to get any of the previous configurations to fit with our working method, but I am sure that Plastic must be able to allow it!

What I basically need is some advice regarding the best possible structure to use.

Thanks in advance,

George

Hi George! Congratulations for your startup with PlasticSCM

I will try to answer to each of the questions you ask on your query:

1. I am not sure whether this configuration is the most convenient one, or I should rather create several WorkSpaces, one for each project and using just one repository

By the information you have given me I think that the best configuration you can use would be the following one:

Each project would be on a repository called CLIENT_ProjectName, so you would have as many repositories as projects.

Regarding the workspaces, I recommend that each PlasticSCM user (each developer) should have as many workspaces as projects on which he is working. For instance, if I am working on 3 projects, two of them for company A and another one for company B, I will create three different workspaces:

john_A_project1 on path c:\MyProjects\A_Proyect1 --> This workspace selector would point to repository A_Project1
john_A_project2 on path c:\MyProjects\A_Proyect2 --> This workspace selector would point to repository A_Project2
john_B_project3 on path c:\MyProjects\A_Proyect3 --> This workspace selector would point to repository B_Proyect3

I would like to highlight that only one workspace per user is needed; but if you create as many workspaces as project, you will be wasting as little time as possible. The workspace selector defines a number of rules to download the required files from PlasticSCM into the folder containing the workspace.

There is a huge different from one repository content to another, so it is not convenient to change from one repository to another on the same workspace. Every time you do this Plastic SCM has to change a large number of files.

2. How can projects be moved from one repository to another?

You would not need to move projects from one repository to another as you would only have one project in each repository, so you would only need to rename repositories.

3. How can I change from one repository to another, but not manually changing the selector?

This is quite a good question. Changing the selector every time you want to work on a different place is not very comfortable. That is another reason why having a workspace for each repository/project on which you are working is a good idea. Each workspace stores (

Archived