Cannot checkin because merge in progress... again!

notken

Hi there. I've seen quite a few reports of this similar message on the forum:

"Checkin operation cannot be started because there is a merge in progress. Finish it before checkin the changes. In progress merge. Merge from cset xxx."

But I still don't know what to do about it, and my colleagues bang their heads into the same problem. We can't check in but who knows how to do this merge? Sometimes while we can't do it in Visual Studio it works in the client app, but sometimes that doesn't work either. The only cast-iron solution seems to be to undo everything losing all changes, then update workspace and try again.

There's a real logical problem to this since there doesn't seem to be any option to merge these changes. It seems in v3 the merge happened immediately but now it's being deferred and then breaking the checkin.

Is there some real foolproof guide to how this should be working now? I can't even work out what it is that's going on, what the problem is, how to guarantee to solve it. Our designer to use Plastic too and he really doesn't know what he's doing, but at least v3 seemed logical and simple. None of us know what to do to solve this problem in v4.

I've attached a screenshot. This is from our designer. He's not even aware of any merge. He just tried to make a small change to the existing workspace, but presumably his workspace was out of date when he came to check in. (It's difficult to persuade him to start a new branch to make one tiny change, and to be honest that seems like overkill to me too, otherwise we're going to end up with hundreds of branches filling up the branch list and getting in the way. Until there's a way to archive completed branches it's not something I want to do anyway.)

The question is, how do you "finish" a merge? There doesn't seem to be any button or option to do that.

Thanks.

post-184-0-51611200-1334825605_thumb.jpg

Hello notken,

partial merges are not allowed in Plastic SCM 4.0.

1) Open the branch explorer.

2) Search the changeset 983

3) Right click in it and select merge from this changeset.

4) Tell me if there are conflicts to be merged.

Thanks for the quick reply. We had to abandon the changes, update and make the changes again to move on with the day, but it's good to have a pointer for next time.

Do you think it would be more logical to be able to do this with either a button on the Pending merge panel or by right-clicking it? It's not intuitive to go back to the branch explorer and merge from there instead.

• 6 years later...

Thanks for your quick answer ! 

I managed to merge thank you :)

I was more specifically talking about :

On 4/19/2012 at 12:04 PM, notken said:

Do you think it would be more logical to be able to do this with either a button on the Pending merge panel or by right-clicking it? It's not intuitive to go back to the branch explorer and merge from there instead.

On 4/19/2012 at 12:52 PM, manu said:

Coding!

I was just wondering if I missed something or if the feature was not implemented after all.

Otherwise Plastic is 10/10, we use it and like it a lot 👍

I'm afraid we didn't do something to improve it :(

But we are going to add a help card to allow you to resume the merge. Something like you see at the screenshot saying "You have a merge ready to checkin" but customized to help you to finish the merge.

• 2 months later...

Anything new about this?

I've been using Plastic for 1.5 month now and got stuck in this situation more than once. I think this is the only major issue I've met with this service and it is very frustrating because it's a simple bad UI design problem.

Currently I can't do anything because whatever I try I get either a message telling me I have a merge pending or that I have changes pending. Either option is impossible to achieve and no solution is available. @manu You really need to work on this. All we need is a simple link the the merge window. It doesn't make sense that I can't find it anywhere and can cost us a lot if a beginner user is stuck like this while working offsite.

Thanks.

Hi, good new because we have just released the following task!

[New] 8.0.16.2994
Plastic (all platforms): Some users reported that they got stuck when a merge was started and it was not finished. We added a help case to detect this situation and help the user to continue the merge, or undo (and cancel the merge in progress).

Regards,

Carlos.

Archived