Possible Shelving Bug and file attributes?

Aaron K

Hi all. Today I used the shelving feature for the first time (It's brilliant BTW!) and I noticed something strange.

I had checked out some files accidentally on the main branch and edited them. I them wanted to make a branch and move those changes into it. I shelved the files, undid changes, made a new branch, switched to it then applied the shelf to my workspace. All the moves of the correct files happened and they were in my workspace but I could not edit them in my IDE.

The Items view showed me they were checked out (and modified from the previous edits) but when I opened up the properties of the file (Windows XP) I saw that it was still read only.

It seems that applying from a shelf does not maintain the attributes they had when they were put into the shelf.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I have just checked that the error fixed is related with a shelve operation of a moved operation + a changed element, this changed element must be the one that is moved. In this issue the data content of the file was lost.

I think your case is a different one. Can you try to explain it more and tell us if you can reproduce it?

Hi Manu. I found a slightly simpler way to reproduce the same effect.

- Check out a file using the Plastic UI (NOTE that the file is now writeable)

- Open up an editor and make a change. Save it. (I use VC6)

- Go to Pending Changes view in Plastic

- Shelve changed file (Check "Undo changes" in dialog) NOTE: File is made readonly again as expected

- Apply shelved changes back to workspace again

- File in question is STILL readonly, but Plastic IDE thinks it's checked out. Therefore you can't edit it in your IDE by default. NOTE VC6 integrate SCC, so what happens is that when I type, it does nothing. Normally it would prompt to check the file out, but because it already is thought to be checked out by Plastic, it does nothing.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Archived