PLASTIC_FINAL_CHANGESET environment variable not working?

Final Atomic Buster

Hi,

Apologies if this was already asked somewhere.  I couldn't find any references when searching.

I'm new to using Triggers (and Ruby!), and it's making me feel quite dumb 🤣.  I've been trying to get the after-update trigger working (a ruby script will get the current changeset and write it to a text file).  I know I can get the trigger to run (as with some small changes to the script, I can see it does actually run).  But I'm unable to use the environment variable PLASTIC_FINAL_CHANGESET to get the changeset.

First, can someone else do a sanity check for me and just make sure that environment variable works?  If you're already using it on your repos, just seeing it's working elsewhere would be great to know it's not just broken.  Reason I ask, was in my search, I did find there was a bug fix in April 2022 for when it was broken (https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/11.0.16.6898), so I wonder if it somehow became broken again...

Next, what am I doing wrong? Here's my ruby script:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

File.open("changeset.txt", "w") do |f|
    f.write(@PLASTIC_FINAL_CHANGESET)
end

I've also tried caching the result first, but it still doesn't work:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

changeset = ENV["PLASTIC_FINAL_CHANGESET"]

File.open("changeset.txt", "w") do |f|
	f << changeset
end

Am I just completely off track with my script and trigger set up?  I definitely feel like it!  Any help here is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm really sorry.  Since it's been two weeks and I had to move on to other tasks, I can't seem to figure what I had done previously to test my original statement in the opening post.  However, I'm confident that what I wrote then was accurate (Environment Variable not working), as I remember being thorough and double checking my results as I was writing the post.  

I can confirm that right now I still cannot get the environment variable working.  Also, I am unable to get a basic test of a ruby script working using the after-update trigger.  I'm likely forgetting how I managed to get that part setup.  This is probably where I first need some help.

I can confirm I can get the ruby script to run if I just directly run it from a Terminal.  Doing this seems to not read the environment variable correctly (the resulting text file is blank).  But if I change the ruby script to just write some plain text, that works (the resulting text file contains the test text).

So I guess the first thing I need help on is how to actually create the after-update trigger.  I've been using both:

cm trigger create after-update "Save ChangeSet" SaveChangeSet.rb
cm trigger create after-update "Save ChangeSet" SaveChangeSet.rb --server=<server>

And neither work when I run Update Workspace in Plastic App.  The SaveChangeSet.rb file is in the root of the repo.

I can confirm the triggers are there when I do either:

cm trigger list
cm trigger list --server=<server>

What am I doing wrong here??

Thanks in advance!

@Final Atomic Buster My testing environment was Windows when I create a trigger I had to pass the where ruby located otherwise my testing environment did not know what to do with .rb. Plus, I am using the latest version of Plastic SCM.

cm trigger create after-update "TriggerName" "<path where ruby installed>\ruby.exe <path of srcirpt>\exampleTrigger.rb" --server=<MyOrgName>@cloud