Deleting Repositories

sbrassard

Plastikers,

What is the best way to remove a repository? It seems as though when I delete a repo the FDB file still remains in the PlasticSCM\server folder. Do I want this deleted also? Am I wrong to assume that deleting the repository just removes the connection information that is associated with the FDB and removes the repo as far as plastic is concerned but retains the data in the PlasticSCM\server folder?

Should I be concerned about deleting a repo and then creating another repo with the same name?

Thanks,

Steve

Sbrassard, hi,

When you delete a repository in Plastic, you are actually unregistering it from the Plastic system, and NOT deleting the physical database file, so your assumptions are correct. WHY we do it that way, for many reasons, we in Plastic do not like to delete things, and since the repository is where your valuable data is, We do give you a regret chance or better said the DB-admin the power to do it manually on the database server, we had episodes a user with an elevated permissions on the repository deleting it "unregistering it", imagine by deleting, he deleted the whole database file, which is unrecoverable!

You have the chance also to backup that database file with that project you finished on a backup media, in case one day you will need to get back to it and use something from it.

You can always mount the rep_x_blabla.fdb file back.

If you delete a repository from Plastic with name xyz , you are able to create a new repository with the same name again, a new database file is created, so no concerns here.

You will find more information on the admin guide at:

http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/3.0.1/manuals-html/en/adminguide.htm

cheers,

Miller

Archived