Needed Features that exist in TFS (and maybe elsewhere)

olivier.higelin

I am using VS2008/VS2010.

1 / One realy missing feature is that Adding, Deleting or Moving a file (directory ?) doesn't appear in the pending change window, and thus cannot be checked-in in with a changeset. I read that when adding a file, it is viewed as a private file and that you can include it in the next changeset etc ... From my point of view it's not the right way to manage that. For us it is may the missing feature that will make us staying with TFS.

2 / Another usefull missing feature is the TFS notion of "shelving", that is a changeset that is saved into the SCM but that is not check-in, this is very usefull to save your unfinished work or to give to someone else your current modification without doing a check-in etc ..

My question is simple. Will these features implemented in Plastic in a near future ?

NB: Sorry for my poor english :(

Hi Olivier,

Indeed the features you mention already exist in Plastic, I guess we need to highlight them better :)

1) Plastic versions directories in the same way as files, so when you move a file, you are actually modifying the source and destination directories. When you add, same thing, the directory is modified and the new file added. When a file is deleted, the directory is modified and the file (or directory) deleted. So when you do this operations, you normally create new versions of the directories themselves (the files are not really modified) and they do go to a changeset once checked in.

When adding or moving a file, if you are using the Visual Studio Plugin (opposed to the SCC integration), you will see the directories when you checkin or in the pending changes window inside visual studio, as well as in the Plastic GUI client.

2) Plastic actually has shelving, and it's automatically done for you when you switch the branch of the workspace to another. If any checkout was pending, it's shelved automatically. There is no explicit option to shelve in the context menu of Visual Studio (or the GUI) since it's not really needed when using the branch per task model, where you can simply checkin without disturbing other developers.

Hope you want to switch from tfs now :)

Cheers,

David

Hi Dave,

I'am sorry to insist, but the point 1/ still holds

Try it yourself using VS2008/VS2010 with a C# project for example.

1-Create a C# project

2-Add it to source control

3-Check-in it

then

4-with contextual menu 'add a class' or 'a file'

=> the .csproj is checked-out and appears in the pending changes windows but not the added file (which is marked with the yellow cross)

5-now just do a check-in => the .csproj is checked-in with the modification but not the file you added.

Once again I'am sorry, but for me it's not far from being a bug ...

Please tell me what I'am doing wrong

thank you for your reply

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Probably the problem is that the "Show private items" checkbox is disabled.

Anyway, maybe you can try the following:

-Right-click on the Solution node or the Project node from the Solution Explorer view and select "Checkin".

-A dialog window will pop-up showing the pending changes (including private items recently created) under the opened solution or project.

Hope it helps!

Jes

Hi Olivier,

We have just released a new Plastic SCM 3.0 version (BL187.19) which includes a reviewed behavior of the Pending changes window. Now it only considers the files and folders included in the solution, and it's automatically refreshed when a new file is added or modified into the solution.

You can download the new version from the Plastic SCM Downloads section.

cheers,

-Jes

Archived