Which to choose - Windows/SQLserver or Linux/Oracle backend?

nige

Complete Plastic newbie here! Hope this finds you all well?

NOTE: I have raised this same question with Carlos@Plastic, but wanted to reach out to the community to ask about your experiences.

We are in the process of purchasing Plastic SCM to serve approx. 100 users, but we are in a decision-making rut!

I wanted to complete some due diligence in making the right decision in terms of the chosen back-end database and OS. We are leaning towards SQL Server on a Windows 2012 R2 server, but the reputation of Linux as a server over Windows (performance-wise) keeps pecking at my brain! Our other alternative is Oracle on Red Hat Linux (maybe even PostgreSQL depending on the answer to my last question), as MySQL is NOT supported within my company.

How many of you guys run Plastic on a Linux backend? What RDBMS do you use? Did any of you carry out a performance comparison between PlasticSCM on Windows/SQL Server and Linux/Oracle (or even Postgres) prior to deciding on which way to go? What were your findings?

I have seen and read the following post - http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/1875-database-backend-performance-stability/ and there is also the one where Codice tested Windows with MySql/Sqlserver and Linux/MySQL. 

We will have a mixed development environment. Some projects developing in Windows, others in Linux, so we will be using both flavors of clients.

How much administration/knowledge at the database level is required? For example, our current tool comes bundled with Informix as its RDBMS, but you need to know virtually nothing about Informix to administer the tool – you do all the administration in the layer above. Is this the same for PlasticSCM?

Huge thanks in advance...

Nige

Oh, by the way the IT support (on the server side) is predominantly Windows-leaning. There are a few Linux techies around, but support is certainly geared up for Windows rather than Linux.

This pushed us a little more towards Mr. Gates' solution...but if performance on Linux/Oracle is overwhelmingly better then we may go that direction.

Archived