recursive checkin/checkout in the PlasticSCM GUI

ava

Hello,

I'm a new to Plastic SCM (coming from Perforce). I'm finding my way very well, except that I miss the functionality in the GUI to recursively checkout or checkin an entire folder. Can someone tell me how I would do this.

Also, I read in some post that doing this is not the philosophy of Plastic SCM, I wonder then what the alternative could be? Is there a document on this topic?

Thank you,

Alex Vanden Abeele

Hi:

We removed the checkout recursively feature because it was error-prone and problematic for several of our clients.

Plastic SCM can work quite well with changed items, and this is our recommendation when you're working with an IDE or tool that doesn't have a Plastic SCM plugin (if you're working with Visual Studio, for instance, the file you're working on is automatically checked out if the plugin is installed).

In order to work with changed items, you can use the "Pending changes" view that show you all the changes done in your workspace; not only checked out items, but also changed items and even private or ignored items. Also, you can use the "Changed items" view (from the "Items" view, right click on an item and select Search -> Changed items. This will show you the changed items inside the selected folder).

I would like to point out a couple of utilities that you may find useful:

- Preferences, Other Options, "Update and checkin operations set files as readonly". By unchecking this you won't need to uncheck the "read-only" property anymore.

- cm help findchanged: this will list the changed files in the workspace.

Please, tell us whether this is useful for you or not and don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Best,

Luis

I actually like the fact that I have to checkout files before I can submit them (that's how perforce works). That also prevents users to submit changes that should not be submitted.

But OMG shame on me, I never saw the checkbox 'Find changed' in the pending changes view, of course this is the perfect solution for what I want...

Thanks for the help,

Getting convinced now...

I absolutely see your point, and Plastic SCM did have a checkout recursive option. The thing is that some customers abused of this feature, sometimes checking out the whole workspace to modify a single file, and they ended up having hundreds of checked out items out of control. So we decided to remove it in order to get the checkouts under control.

Thanks for your feedback,

Luis

Archived