Missing some important functionalities

luiner

Hi,

I can't find some functionalities I need from Plastic.

1. I need possibility to see what of checked out files are changed locally

2. I need to be able to write comments to checked out files and extend this

comment together with changes from time to time before I decide to check

in.. Comments in field on pending changes dissapear each time I close

client.

3. I need a way to create few changes simultaeusely and manage them

independenty( eg like in perforece )

4. I need to see what objects are modified on reposytory agains verion I

have on HD before calling update. (very common feature)

are those available at all?

And are we as community allowed to use supprt email from plastic? (I know we do not have support < 24, but I dont care about the speed at the moment. I need to set test platform with all company requirements/standards before we could buy licences)

Thanks

Hi,

1.- Currently, in Plastic SCM 3.0 we don't provide any feature to get this information. You can use the "Pending changes" view and diff the files you see as checked out or (even better) don't checkout files and work with changed items. This way you'll know what files have you actually modified. You can see the changed items in your workspace in the "Pending changes" view or the changed items inside a directory from the "Items" view, right click on a directory, Search->Changed items.

2.- There is a Preference->Comments->Show comments dialog in Checkout command. Also, you can use use Autocomments or use the "Recent comments" button in the Pending changes view to reuse previously typed comments.

3.- In Plastic we provide the "Changeset" concept, similar to the "changelist" concept in Perforce. A changeset is a set of changes checked in together.

4.- You can check the changeset that you are loading at the moment and diff it with the last one in the repository, using the Changesets view.

I recommend that Community Edition users write to forum because they will get a better response and other users will benefit from the answers that they get.

Thanks for using Plastic SCM and best regards,

Luis

Hi Luis!

First of all I would like to thank you for your fast response!

It would be very, very good if we could get special icons for

- changed on repository(out of date)

- checked out but changed after on repository(checkout & out of date)

'In Plastic we provide the "Changeset" concept, similar to the "changelist" concept in Perforce. A changeset is a set of changes checked in together.'

I understand that, but in perforce you can have few changelists opened in same time and submit them when time comes. Then all checkedout files are divided into groups based on which issue they cover. Some of changelists for example covers changes that are never checkedout, some other covers problems you started working on "on stack"

As long as you work on few files you can easily manage it manually, but when I was working on projects like The Witcher 2, there was no chance to check manually which files to submit from 2-3 hundred chekced out related to few different tasks or simply local proxies waiting for changes from someone else.

I was also asking for a way to attach comments to changelists, not only when you checkin file because in many cases most of the files are not text files so it is important to note on changeset all valuable changes done especially when you cant checkin file/-s for a while and you do many modification(which sometimes are not known when you checkout file in first place).

Best regards

Edit: mind shortcut was not as readable as I thought in first place

Hi,

It would be very, very good if we could get special icons for

- changed on repository(out of date)

- checked out but changed after on repository(checkout & out of date)

We'll study to add these features, they seem to be interesting.

I understand that, but in perforce you can have few changelists opened in same time and submit them when time comes. Then all checkedout files are divided into groups based on which issue they cover. Some of changelists for example covers changes that are never checkedout, some other covers problems you started working on "on stack"

As long as you work on few files you can easily manage it manually, but when I was working on projects like The Witcher 2, there was no chance to check manually which files to submit from 2-3 hundred chekced out related to few different tasks or simply local proxies waiting for changes from someone else.

I was also asking for a way to attach comments to changelists, not only when you checkin file because in many cases most of the files are not text files so it is important to note on changeset all valuable changes done especially when you cant checkin file/-s for a while and you do many modification(which sometimes are not known when you checkout file in first place).

We don't provide such a feature in Plastic SCM, because changesets exist only when changes are committed to the repository. Users define which changes should go together.

Best,

Luis

We don't provide such a feature in Plastic SCM, because changesets exist only when changes are committed to the repository. Users define which changes should go together.

I think you dont have to do this on changeset itself, it could be just client side feature. Allowing you to create a list of checked out files. Each checkedout file belong to one list, and each list keeps comment or/and name for better management. It will work like "filters" which allows you to shorten list of all checkedout files to just those you are interested in, with difference that you can put any file or set of files to it manually. Another sample of similar functionality is email (eg Gmail) where you can create "tag" and then you get list of currently available tags. By pressing one of them you will get filtered list of files. Simple Add Tag / Remove Tag will allow you to add or remove selected files from any list. If you make it this way, "default" and "ALL"(special, not removable) tag would be attached to any file you check out and it will make file visible in default vision. If someone needs to make.

This way you get powerful change set manager with only client site to code.

Of course it is just mine suggestion and you don't have to agree with me, but I would be happy to see this improvement, and I'm sure - its not just for me. Many, many users of perforce manages their changesets in similar way as I did. And I'm sure you can compete at some point with Perforce, Your tool is in very good shape, and missing just few extra bits from mine point of view :)

Best regards

Quote:

I think you dont have to do this on changeset itself, it could be just client side feature. Allowing you to create a list of checked out files. Each checkedout file belong to one list, and each list keeps comment or/and name for better management. It will work like "filters" which allows you to shorten list of all checkedout files to just those you are interested in, with difference that you can put any file or set of files to it manually. Another sample of similar functionality is email (eg Gmail) where you can create "tag" and then you get list of currently available tags. By pressing one of them you will get filtered list of files. Simple Add Tag / Remove Tag will allow you to add or remove selected files from any list. If you make it this way, "default" and "ALL"(special, not removable) tag would be attached to any file you check out and it will make file visible in default vision. If someone needs to make.

This way you get powerful change set manager with only client site to code.

Of course it is just mine suggestion and you don't have to agree with me, but I would be happy to see this improvement, and I'm sure - its not just for me. Many, many users of perforce manages their changesets in similar way as I did. And I'm sure you can compete at some point with Perforce, Your tool is in very good shape, and missing just few extra bits from mine point of view :)

Plastic provides a much better approach: branches. Branches are light-weight objects, easy to trace, easy to use and easy to merge. Using a Task per Branch model you implement certain related changes that conform a task in a single branch, and then you integrate those changes in your baseline.

This is the approach that the new SCM systems recommend, not only commercial but also the free ones.

Best,

Luis

Hi' date='

1. I need possibility to see what of checked out files are changed locally

[/quote']

That feature is on my wishlist too. TFS power tools have a command for undoing unchanged checkouts (tfpt.exe uu). Something similar would be very nice since it can be time consuming to go through all checked out items and see if there is a change. I don't like to commit any changes that I don't know about, but often the IDE autogenerates stuff and sometimes there are no changes in the autogenerated files or your refactoring tool opens a lot of files and makes some changes that you undo.

Archived