Almost every time I upgrade server, I start getting "Unknown User"

Did it again just now. Upgraded to 4.1.10.333. All seemed to work but now I can't log in with any of my clients. They get the "Unknown User - SIDX(@*#(#*#)@" appearing.

It seems to happen almost every time I install a new version and it's really frustrating. I change no configuration settings during the installation either.

Aaron

And if it's not obvious, this has halted our development until we can fix this.

Just an update

I went back and grabbed a previous build's (4.1.10.273) version of seidinfo.dll and placed that in the server directory, restarted and now I can connect. I'm a little hesitant to use this dll though for obvious reasons and need to get a version working with the current (333) seinfo.dll.

With this old dll I can no longer set new owners for the server's permissions as I keep getting an error dialog stating "Unknown user XXX" even though I can select it from the user select dialog and the user is in our AD.

Is there a way to forcibly reset permissions to a particular user/group? Maybe in the database?

Aaron

Hi guys. Was hoping for some info on this today. We are now getting "revInfo.Owner is null before the cache" errors when switching to branches. Things are not looking good. I have to now uninstall plastic completely. Delete al MySQL data and then install an older build and reimport all the data from a backup. This is pretty terrible and all because of an upgrade install between builds.

Aaron

OK, we have reverted everything of ours back to version 4.1.10.268 and things are working again albeit without any of the fixes/features added in the last 60 odd builds. Can you guys tell me if there is a best practices that you suggest for upgrading within builds for Plastic? Should I upgrade one build at a time or should the move from 268 to 333 have worked? We obviously don't want to stay on 268 forever so it'd be good to have some faith in the process for next time.

Thanks

Aaron

Hello Aaron,

would it be possible to setup a testing machine with the MySQL backup you mention and test a regular upgrade in order to reproduce the issue. I would like to be present to verify if something wrong happens.

Tell me if it's possible I would like to help you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also getting this problem. Upgrading van 268 to 3xx (tried several) results in all users getting a user unknow with SID function.

We're using MS SQL Server and have not encountered these problems before when performing server upgrades.

So we're sticking with 268 as well but would really like to hear how to fix this problem

Hello mvdzwaan,

it's possible to setup the replicated backup scenario in order to test the upgrade in a safe way? Tell me if we can arrange a meeting in order to review it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're asking here... We do not have a replicated backup, only 1 plastic production server. It's working fine, until I upgrade, then everyone gets the unknown user alert... I can perform an upgrade and run some queries for you... As the downgrade always fixes the problem

Yep, I want to ask if it's possible to setup another machine with a MySQL backup of your data and new Plastic SCM server and then test the upgrade in an isolated environment.

We're using MS SQL Server, and it's already an isolated (hyper-v vm) machine. It's running on its own virtual server with only plastic and sql server installed.

That's fine, see PM for details

I just test the upgrade with 335 again.

We're using AD integration, with 268 and performing a cm lu server:port, I get a list of all domain accounts

after the upgrade to 335 cm lu server:port returns only

SYSTEM user

So the problems seems to be with the AD integration.

Ok,

let's try the following. Change the authentication mode to "LDAP authentification", set your AD server address, port and a user/password, remember to select the "Active Directory" type. Check that you client is still able to log in and upgrade to latest version. Check if it works or not.

The client configuration is not needed to be changed.

Changed to ldap, entered data, test connection -> ok

restarted plastic 4 service, but go a 'service started and stopped right away'

started plastic 4 service, everything is working ok and our developers can still use the server without the user unknown error. cm lu also return the complete user list from our domain.

Any side effects to not having native AD ? (apart from the fact I now needed to enter our domain admin account in the server config)

Archived