Visual Studio Plugin vs Window Explorer Plugin

Xorcist

So I'm a new user, just installed Plasic SCM 4.1, and I added my first project repository.

My question is, currently if a file is marked with a green check in Windows Explorer and I use Notepad to edit it the icon changes to a blue check (this should indicate I'm using the Modify-Commit Methodology). However if I use Visual Studio 2010 to edit the same file (which shows with a blue lock in the Solution Explorer, but is a green check in Windows Explorer), the icon chages to a red circle (this should indicate I'm using the Checkout-Modify-Checkin Methodology). But why? and how can I get Visual Studio to conform to the Modify-Commit Methodology? (which the the one I want to use)

I did install both the Plastic SMC Source Control Package and the Plastic SCC plugin on my client machine. Visual Studio is currently set to use the Plastic SMC Source Control Package for that particular solution.

P.S. The green vs blue checks are really hard to differentiate between when looking at them in Windows Explorer, you may want to consider using different icons or colors that have a bit more contrast to them.

Hi!

So I'm a new user, just installed Plasic SCM 4.1, and I added my first project repository.

Welcome aboard! :)

My question is, currently if a file is marked with a green check in Windows Explorer and I use Notepad to edit it the icon changes to a blue check (this should indicate I'm using the Modify-Commit Methodology). However if I use Visual Studio 2010 to edit the same file (which shows with a blue lock in the Solution Explorer, but is a green check in Windows Explorer), the icon chages to a red circle (this should indicate I'm using the Checkout-Modify-Checkin Methodology). But why? and how can I get Visual Studio to conform to the Modify-Commit Methodology? (which the the one I want to use)

Well, the ugly part of the checkout-edit-checkin is that you've to do the checkout. But, Visual Studio does it for you so, why should you care?

At the end of the day there's not big difference between the two methods IF the tool does the checkout for you (is not a lock! remember, it is just telling plastic: I'm going to work on this file).

In fact, in LARGE projects (400k files / 500k files or more) the checkout-edit-checkin is MUCH faster since plastic doesn't have to scan the disk for changes.

I did install both the Plastic SMC Source Control Package and the Plastic SCC plugin on my client machine. Visual Studio is currently set to use the Plastic SMC Source Control Package for that particular solution.

The SCC is only good for really OLD systems or compatibility with other tools that are not Visual Studio.

For VStudio, use the addin.

P.S. The green vs blue checks are really hard to differentiate between when looking at them in Windows Explorer, you may want to consider using different icons or colors that have a bit more contrast to them.

Thanks for the remark! We'll take it into account.

Archived