Parallel installation of two instances with different version?

First, I'd like to apologize if this has been answered already. I cannot search the forum (see here).

So now my question:

I've got a server that run's v2.7 which is a production server and I don't want to touch it. I'd like to use a second server with some other projects, and and use it with the newest Version (v2.9).

Is it possible to run two Plastic SCM Servers with different versions on the same machine?

Is it possible to run two Plastic SCM Clients with different versions on the same machine?

Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks for your help.

Felix

Hi Felix,

Yes, it's pretty doable. Let's go step by step.

The first 'issue' is that a new installation will try to upgrade an old one. So, one thing you can do is to install it on a different machine and copy the binaries (I'll check if there's a way to work around this with the installer itself, and yes, we should definitely come up with a .zip install).

Once you've your binaries on the destination machine (the one running both 2.7 and 2.9):

-- Server install --

Go to your server's install dir (actually where you copied it)

plasticd --installservice --servicename=Plastic2.9

Check if you have a new service with this service name, if it's there, you're done.

You can always diagnose your server running it with plasticd --console

-- Client install --

You can copy the files to whatever location and use it from there. Create a client.conf file at your client's location (instead of your user profile directory, so you can use this old one for 2.7 and the new one for 2.9) and configure your client (plastic --configure, once the client.conf is there) and start the plastic GUI against your new server.

The only issue here is that AFAIK you won't be able to have two different Visual Studio plugins (only one can be installed at the same time), but if you can live with it you're done.

Let me know if you have more questions or if something is not clear enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello psantosl,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have one question:

The only issue here is that AFAIK you won't be able to have two different Visual Studio plugins (only one can be installed at the same time)' date=' but if you can live with it you're done.[/quote']

Which VS plugin to you mean:

(a) The Source Control Provider Plugin (i.e. the plugin VS uses to atomatically check out files, add files, rename files and so on)

(B) The "extended" pluging (i.e. the one to change branches and merge from within VS

I could live with (B), but (a) would be a show stopper for me.

Thanks for your help,

Felix

• 2 weeks later...

Archived