Different Locations for different Repositories on Server

Currently our VCS server has 2 drives on it, a 250GB SSD and a 1TB Mechanical drive.  We keep the huge and less busy projects off of the SSD and onto the mechanical drive, however projects with a ton of files that have a lot of traffic with larger teams really benefit from being on the SSD.  With perforce and Git, the repositories are contained within distinct directories so we are able to use symlinks to customize where on the server they were actually stored.  With PlasticSCM, installed in a MySQL configuration, it appears that while there are different directories for the repos, all of the actual file data for ALL repos are being stored in the ibdata1 file.  For instance, I have 3 repos setup and the ibdata1 file gets larger and larger no matter which repo I commit to while the rep_1 , rep_2 and rep_3 directories aren't increasing in proportion to the amount of data I am commiting(ie: they are all 316KB even though I've committed 60GB worth of files while the IBdata1 file is 36GB currently)

So long question short: Is there any way to have all of the contents of repo1 stored on one drive while repo2 is stored on another with a Mysql server running on linux?

Hi!

There are several ways to achieve this:

1. If you want to stick to MySQL, then take a look at "innodb file-per-table": https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-multiple-tablespaces.html MySQL is quite flexible to achieve what you are looking for.

2.You can use Jet, our new storage backend. It is way much faster than any other option. You need to use Plastic SCM 6.0 to use it. Check the release notes of https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/6.0.16.804. It is fast, scalable and very good for super big files and repos. Some of our biggest customers in video games are already using it, although 6.0 is not yet officially (marketing wise) announced at the time of writing this entry. Check with our support team about back ups.

Cheers,

pablo

Great, thanks for the reply, will chat up support about getting linux installation instructions for plastic 6.   Is there a detailed description of how Jet works compared to the other systems? I see a lot about how much better it is but it would be interesting to hear how it works

Archived