Creating a developer leaderboard / project progress board from changeset data

tucny

In my team, I would like to introduce two metrics based on the volume of lines of code change. I need two reports:

1. Developer leaderboard — see who did what amount of code changes in the past day / week / month, across all repos
  2. Project leaderboard — see how many new / changed lines of code we have across all branches in a particular repo 

You may think that measuring progress by the volume of lines of code is kind of stupid but in certain situations it's a useful metric. For example, we have a project which is basically a huge refactoring endeavor, where the volume of code refactored over time indicates the overall velocity of the team.

To make the numbers realistic, I would need to omit certain types of changes, e.g.:

• branch merges
  • changes to auto-generated code, i.e. files with a certain mask ("*.designer.cs" in my case)
  • changes to binaries

Is it possible to use Plastic's query system to collect data that would allow for computing such reports? At first sight, I'd need a list of changesets, list of files (filtered) per changeset, and statistics of changes on a per-file basis from the merge engine (i.e. number of lines added / changed / deleted).

Hi,

The best way to get reports is using the "cm find" command. We have a complete guide with some examples:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/cmfind/plastic-scm-version-control-query-system-guide.shtml

I think you can get all the information, regarding new changesets "cm find changeset", merge links "cm find merge", new revisions "cm find revision"...

But there is not a specific command to get a report regarding added/changed lines in the repo files. There are some GUI features where you can get this information: "Analyze differences", "Analyze refactor",  but I'm afraid you cannot get this information via command line

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide.shtml#ColumnsintheItemsTable

Regards,

Carlos.

Carlos,

"cm find" is what I looked at and agree that I can resolve half of the task with it. Is there any way to dump a changes set like a diff that I could postprocess, counting added, changed, deleted lines? Something like the "svn diff" command in Subversion, IIRC.

Btw. I'm fine with using any .NET API. It would be easier to develop this in C# anyway.

Ondrej

Archived