What's wrong with this YAML input?

Gerard Murphy

Hi,

I'm feeding the following YAML files to Semantic Merge as output from the FSharp plugin:-

---
type : file
name : C:\Users\Gerard Murphy\AppData\Local\PlasticSCM4\semanticmerge\samples\Java\Socket\src.fs
locationSpan : {start: [3,4], end: [7,0]}
footerSpan : [0, -1]
parsingErrorsDetected : False
children :
  - type : namespace
    name : Foo
    headerSpan : [0, -1]

---
type : file
name : C:\Users\Gerard Murphy\AppData\Local\PlasticSCM4\semanticmerge\samples\Java\Socket\dst.fs
parsingErrorsDetected : False
children :
  - type : namespace
    name : Boo
    headerSpan : [0, -1]

(Don't worry about the 'Java' in the path - I just placed my F# files in the samples directory to re-use the sample scripts with minimal changes).

Semantic Merge shows an error dialog indicating what looks like a null reference exception, see attachment below.

The stack trace is also attached below.

Do you have any pointers as to what is going wrong? While the plugin is still at a very early stage, I'm keen to make sure I've got the YAML protocol part correct before going further.

Three things that spring to mind immediately to me are:-

1. Can the headers and footers be set to the default of [0, -1], or are they required?
2. My reading of the informal specification given the Delphi plugin developers implies that I don't need to populate any terminal nodes in the YAML - is this the case?
3. Did I get a flag wrong on the command line? I am using:-

set mergeOptions= -ep=""C:\PlasticSCMWorkspaces\SemanticMergeFSharpPlugin\FSharpPlugin\bin\Debug\FsharpPlugin.exe"" %contributorFiles%%resultFile%%difftool%%mergetool%

Regards,

Gerard

post-3416-0-41721700-1406489948_thumb.png

post-3416-0-28327400-1406490542_thumb.png

UPDATE: just tried putting in a placeholder header span of [1, 1]; this makes the null reference exception go away (but leads to incorrect results).

Hmm - OK, I'll have to translate from the line * character offset spans coming from the F# parser to character spans...

Leave it with me and I'll see what happens next.

Regards,

Gerard

Archived