Editor freezing (or completely hanging) due to code in Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.dll

Gardenfiend Games

A couple times now, usually when I am opening a prefab (by double clicking it in the Project panel), I get this popup which causes Unity to freeze until it completes. Sometimes it completes in around 15-20 seconds, but just a minute ago it froze for 2+ minutes before I Ctrl+Alt+Delete and closed Unity. When I re-opened Unity, and then proceeded to try to open the same prefab again, it got stuck for around 15 seconds and then completed.

178981952_scmeditorhang.thumb.png.069e11be3c3acfd36b531dd18ed29637.png

One extra annoying thing is that I'm using the standalone PlasticSCM, not the Unity-integration... so why is there even any code running related to PlasticSCM within Unity?

What can I do to alleviate this issue?

If there are logs or anything more information I can provide, please let me know how and I'll get it next time.

Thanks!

Hi @Gardenfiend Games, I'm sorry you've been experiencing this issue. Would you be willing to share a small project with me that has the prefab in question that reproduces the freeze for you? That would help to debug and diagnose the issue.

If it doesn't reproduce with a smaller project, would you be comfortable with sharing access to your project with me so that I can try to repro the issue? I'd be willing to sign an NDA, if you'd prefer.

3 hours ago, ryancassell said:

Hi @Gardenfiend Games, I'm sorry you've been experiencing this issue. Would you be willing to share a small project with me that has the prefab in question that reproduces the freeze for you? That would help to debug and diagnose the issue.

If it doesn't reproduce with a smaller project, would you be comfortable with sharing access to your project with me so that I can try to repro the issue? I'd be willing to sign an NDA, if you'd prefer.

Hey @ryancassell, thanks for the response -> Unfortunately the issue happens pretty randomly (between zero and two times per day, for the past couple days), and it isn't only with that single prefab, so I can't reliably make a repro on a smaller project. Yesterday it happened when I double-clicked a non-prefab file in the Project panel. My main project is also pretty huge, and I'd prefer not to share it. But what I will try to do is narrow down 'what I'm doing' when the issue happens - I have a suspicion that it might be happening when I trigger a Script Compilation (changing some code, and then clicking back into Unity), and then double-click an asset/prefab. Some sort of combination/interaction between those two things (just a guess though).

So I'll try to narrow it down enough that I can then make a repro, but since it happens randomly it might take a bit 😅

• Like 1