Request clarification on diff output colouring

ben

I am trying to understand some of the output from Plastic's diff tool. I'm unsure what some of the hilighted areas are in this diff, when they appear to be identical.

The main change from the left to the right here is the addition of the "Note" paragraph. But the "## How it works" appears to be flagged as different on the right, as well as the "to the other Unreal Engine" section even though the only bit that was changed is the "4" being removed.

Can you explain a bit what the colours mean in this example and why some areas are flagged as different?

plastic-diff.png

As the whole document is highlighted, I assume that the line ending/file encoding changed. Therefore, it gets confused by trying to diff every single line, without checking for minimal differences. So for example, for line number 19, it is comparing the left line "Join the LuaMachine Discord" with the right "## Discord Channel", and therefore finds the match "Discord".

Disable line ending/encoding comparison in the "three-dot-menu" on the right, by choosing one of the "Ignore EOLs" options.

EOLs.png

• Like 1