Can't move item to another changelist.

syeager

Hello,

I just started messing around with Plastic but I am having problems moving some items to a new changelist. If I checkout the item the option is available and I can move it but if I just refresh the Pending Changes view and an item pops up in the Default Changelist then the option to "Move to Changelist" in the context menu is grayed out. Is this as intended or am I missing something.

Thanks for the help!

Hello Steve!

wow that's weird. Let me explain you how the changelists system work and maybe with your help we'll find out the reason of the failure.

Look, changelist are stored inside your workspaces, more specifically inside the hidden directory called ".plastic" this directory is inside the root directory of your Plastic SCM workspace.

You will find one file for each changelist (except for the default one) inside the following path: .plastic\changelists

The changelist file looks like:

name:TestChangelist
description:
ispersistent:False
type:UserDefined
isnew:False
mountpoint:56e62dd7-241f-41e9-8c6b-dd4ca4513e62#idlist:4991,4083

The important part is the last one, where you can read "idlist", after it you will have a list of files ids, the files inside the changelist.

The file is re-generated everytime the pending changes view is refreshed.

1- Can you check if the file you add to the changelist disappears also from the metadata file (inside the ".plastic\changelists" directory)?

2- Can you share your file with us?

3- Does it happen with all the files? test a couple of them...

4- Does it happen in another workspace?

Thanks!

Thanks for responding manu!

1. I'm not entirely sure what you are asking but the changelist files seem to keep up to date with whatever I am doing in Plastic.
  2. The files I am using are empty or mostly empty text files.
  3. It seems to happen consistently with any file (at least with the test text files I am making).
  4. It happens in any workspace.

So to recap:

If I use the modify-commit method I cannot move items between changelists, they are stuck in Default.

If I use the checkout-modify-checkin method then I can freely move items between changelists. (It would be nice if we could drag items to new changelists but that's a flashy feature request :P)

Cheers

:P I think a completely understood your first post!!!!

I understood, for some reason.... :P, that after moving the file to a changelist if you refresh the pending changes view, the item was automatically moved back to the default changelist.... :P

Ok, the issue is that changed (not checked out) items can't be moved to changelist, right?

You need to apply the change and then move them to a changelist (right click the changed item -> Apply local change")

• 2 years later...

Hi just looking for more clarification on this.  When you "Apply local change" it performs a checkout of the file.

Is there a reason why a non checked out file cannot be placed in a named changelist?

I don't see why the default changelist has the ability to checkin non-checked out files, but a named changelist can't.  

I was under the impression that the Check-out / Edit / Check-in workflow was optional.

Does this mean that changelists are only here to supported this workflow? 

Archived