server dying on osx / client hang

leeh

It seems like the server I have setup on osx keeps dying, and as a result the client just hangs and never brings up the gui. I can start the server just fine, and connect to it both locally and remotely, but then at some point things all of a sudden don't work. For instance, I'll goto start up the client on a remote windows machine and it will just sit there and the gui never comes up. I can see the process running in task manager, but no feedback is ever provided as to what's going on. If I go and manually restart the server everything works again, so it's mysterious. I never had this problem with perforce or svn on the server, so I'm confused. Anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong?

now what's weird is that it was working before. either way, i fixed up the permissions and now everything is happy.

is the installer on osx not able to setup permissions properly? I also had to hand edit the StartupItems permissions to get them working correctly.

also one thing I noticed is that when this problem occurs the client gui never shows on both windows and osx, even though the process is running in the background, and there's never any notification on the client side that it's having trouble connecting.

thanks for the help, things seem all good now and i look forward to giving plastic a thorough try.

Leeh,

The problem with the startupitems is known and has been solved in the latest release 3.0.187.11.

Regarding the installer, it fixes correctly the permissions on the plasticscm/server directory, so if you starting the server with privileged user the database file /repositories.plastic.sqlite will be created with no problems.

When you start the Plastic SCM client GUI and there are no connectivity to the server (for what ever reason), the client waits for a connection timeout and a popup msg fires. how much time have been waiting for this popup msg? it should not take a lot of time to see it.

Codice Staff

When i was having the problem with seeing nothing the popup never came up. I think it's because the server was started, but it just couldn't open up the database. So the client technically could connect to the server, just not the database, so it was kind of a rare case i was seeing i think.

When i would turn the server off completely the popup would come up almost immediately.

Anyways as I said everything is working pretty well now so that's awesome.

Archived