Very slow on fresh eval installation

marcd

Hi there,

Just installed Plastic on a Windows 7 Pro machine acting as the server. Set up a few repos including a "Playground" repo containing two files and one folder. I also changed the db.conf to store the Firebird repo data on the second harddisc (D:).

Then I set a client workstation on another Win7 machine on the same LAN network (same LAN switch).

I've pumpt a few thousand to other repos then Playground. That upload-speed was quite nice.

When I now change one of the two textfiles in the playground repo and do a check-in it takes ages to get a responsive UI back. I generally works but is terrible slow with the two file repo. I've checked the server and the client workload but CPU, Mem, Harddisc where nearly idle.

Do you have any ideas why this is so slow or if there is "turbo"-switch somewhere in the settings?

I've attached a little screen-cast to how what I mean by "slow" ;-)

Thanks for help!

Regards,

Marc

plastic_playground_slowcheckin.zip

Marc, thank you, there is no turbo switch, plastic comes tuned, and born turbo! :P

OK, operations you performed should not be slow, should be almost instant,lets see.

So uploading to another repo. 1000s of files OK.

Downloading or populating a freshly empty workspace from the repository with the 1000s of files also OK.

You do not work in the default mode where the plastic protection is by setting the file to read-only,

and removing the protection is by Checking-out the file, do not be alarmed, THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE, it is OK.

But since you didn't checkout I assume that you have been to Preferences-->Other options-->Unticking 4th. option (Update and Chekin..bla bla).

Ok, open a cmd.exe and cd to your workspace directory and issue the below Plastic CLI command

cm ci -R . --nchk --timer

The command will checkin (Forced) all your workspace creating a new changeset, and the --timer will give you the time it took to do that.

Miller

Hi Miller,

Thanks for the fast reply!

I get some error's when executing the command below:

D:\development\iDev\playground>cm ci -R . --nchk --timer
The selected items are about to be checked in. Please wait ...
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground. Can't checkin same data for it
em d:\development\iDev\playground.
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir. Can't checkin same dat
a for item d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir.
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test1.txt. Can't checki
n same data for item d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test1.txt.
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt. Can't checki
n same data for item d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt.
22667 ms

I've performed this command when not having any changes. Then I changed the Test1.txt file once more and fired the command again:

D:\development\iDev\playground>notepad Testdir\Test1.txt

D:\development\iDev\playground>cm ci -R . --nchk --timer
The selected items are about to be checked in. Please wait ...
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground. Can't checkin same data for it
em d:\development\iDev\playground.
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir. Can't checkin same dat
a for item d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir.
Checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test1.txt ... Done
Error checking in d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt. Can't checki
n same data for item d:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt.
Created changeset
cs:7@br:/main@rep:playground@repserver:SERVER:8084
22261 ms

Starting the Plastic client (plastic.exe) also takes about 45-60 sec.

Any idea why this takes so long?

About my set-up I try to achive:

- No read-only files on local disc

- DVCS as I already did with GIT, means local commit's and push/pull to remote at a given point

- Nice workflow that it supported by the user-interface and therefore hopefully ways less error-prone then Git

- Cross-Plattform

- Professional support - just as you are doing ;)

So I removed the read-only setting in my prefs just as you expected. What I still need to do is install a local server on my client and configure the remote push/pull. Didn't checkt that yet as I first checked out the basic UI stuff.

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Marc,

The errors you got when checking in above was because I forgot to instruct you to checkout! "O_0"

Which authentication mode are you running with (Localuser/LDAP/ActiveDirectory/User Password..)?

Do the following:

attached a configuration file that will activate some debug logging for the cm.exe, filename: cm.log.conf

a cm.log.txt will be generated, place it in your plasticscm\client directory

Execute the following commands from within your workspace:

cm co -R . --coparent

cm ci -R . --nchk --timer

Promess me not to abuse the above "Recursive" operations in your daily work :) it is NOT needed in Plastic,

recursive operations are for legacy scm systems.

Attach the cm.log.txt and the output of the CLI.

cm.log.zip

I promiss :-)

Here is the console output:

D:\development\iDev\playground>cm co -R . --coparent
The selected items are about to be checked out. Please wait ...
Item D:\development\iDev\playground was correctly checked out
Item D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir was correctly checked out
Item D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test1.txt was correctly checked out
Item D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt was correctly checked out

D:\development\iDev\playground>cm co -R . --coparent
The selected items are about to be checked out. Please wait ...
The element D:\development\iDev\playground is already checked out in the current
workspace.
The element D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir is already checked out in the
current workspace.
The element D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test1.txt is already checked
out in the current workspace.
The element D:\development\iDev\playground\Testdir\Test2.txt is already checked
out in the current workspace.

Log output is attached.

Marc

cm.log.txt

Hi marcd!

There's only one single thing that comes to my mind when you mention your Plastic client takes 60 seconds to start up... antivirus software!!!

Can you double check??

Then, I'll show you a "trick" to check update speed:

cm update --noparallel --stats --timer

Will give you tons of details about file download and write. Sometimes people claim the update is slow and it turns out to be a disk issue (longer to write than to download from a VPN, for instance).

Plastic is... FAST, so, let's figure out what's wrong here.

Thanks,

pablo

Archived