BranchExplorer not showing merge links after successful merges

Muerte

Hi,

the BranchExplorer is not showing me the arrows where I have merged. This is the process I follow:

1. Create child branch from main branch

2. Switch workspace to new child branch (thought this would be automatic)

3. Do regular checkins

4. Switch workspace to main branch

5. Click on child branch and select Merge from this branch

Merge items are found and they are merged successfully.

I have the Display Merge Links checkbox checked under my BranchExplorer extended settings.

What am I missing? :-k

Thanks.

Hi Pablo,

after creating a child branch I do regular checkins. This is shown on the child branch as changesets. I have plenty of them on the child branch. After merging the child branch with the main branch, there is nothing more to check in I believe. So in my current state (after the merge) where should I go to check more files in? I thought that the checkins happen on the child branch and once I merge I don't have to do anything more.

If you can guide me with some steps I would be very thankful.

Regards.

Hi Muerte,

The way it works is:

- you create your child branch and switch to it

- you do changes on the child branch and check in

- you switch to the main branch and run a merge from the child branch

- as a result of the merge you'll find files (and maybe directories) checked out (go to the pending changes view)

- when you checkin (on main) you'll see the merge links

Hope it helps,

pablo

Thanks Pablo!

I understand. The merge simply merges the code and doesn't check it in automagically which makes sense.

The only weird thing is, when I looked under Pending Changes the items weren't listed under Find Changed. I could only see them under Find Checkouts.

Whether this is intended I am not sure but all is working now. \:d/

Hi Muerte,

Yes, the thing is the following:

- We distinguish between "changed" and "checkouts". Remember a "checkout" is not like "git checkout" or like "subversion checkout" but more like "Perforce checkout" or "Clearcase checkout". It means: "hey server, create a new revision for me because I'm going to work on it".

- So, when we merge we always create a revision in "checkout status".

- Changed are files that you modified locally without telling the version control, so Plastic has to "go through the disk" to find them.

- Checkouts are files that you already tell the server you're going to work on them, so Plastic already knows they're there.

Hope it helps.

pablo

• 4 weeks later...

Why not check the checked-out files for changes and show them in the 'changed' list as well ?

This would also partially solve the 'problem' of a checkin and the warning 'files have not been modified, undo checkout' which I need to click away each and every time they occur (which is a lot in VS2010, as each file I double click to view its contents without editing it is checked out)

This default checkout behaviour in VS is quite annoying, but a global option to 'always undo checkout when not changed' would be appreciated.

Also, any files added to the solution using drag/drop are not checked in (option has been selected in prefences) and are not added to source control without a manual checkin

Why not check the checked-out files for changes and show them in the 'changed' list as well ?

Only one reason: speed. Companies using ***HUGE*** repositories prefer not to do any checks on the "checkouts", so it is faster.

This would also partially solve the 'problem' of a checkin and the warning 'files have not been modified, undo checkout' which I need to click away each and every time they occur (which is a lot in VS2010, as each file I double click to view its contents without editing it is checked out)

Uhm... double clicking shouldn't checkout, only editing should... I mean, if you just show it up, it won't be checked out unless you type something on the editor. Please let me know because otherwise is an issue.

This default checkout behaviour in VS is quite annoying, but a global option to 'always undo checkout when not changed' would be appreciated.

As I said, we're going to check this, I'm not aware of it and of course an "auto-checkout" is not the desired option, not at all.

Also, any files added to the solution using drag/drop are not checked in (option has been selected in prefences) and are not added to source control without a manual checkin

If you drag a new file to the project and you go to "solution, right click, show pending changes" you'll see them as "pending to add". We're changing the main "pending changes" (from VStudio) so it also behaves this way.

Thanks,

pablo

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

We have a similar issue on one of our repos where we've done the usual check in, merge, check in thing.. but still no merge links??

I think our other repos are fine but this one just doesn't show them!?

(see screenshot)

Basically the red lines signify the CS's generated by the merges..

plastic_problem.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived