Need a way to disable auto-updating workspace when merging

Oscar

HI,

When performing "merge from this branch", my current workspace always gets updated automatically, even before I check in the merging results. I don't want to update my workspace at all some times (If you want to know reasons, one of them is that somebody may have created large files in the branch, it takes long time to update my workspace). Any way to disable it?

Thanks,

-Oscar

Hi Oscar,

the "merge from this branch" option would only trigger an update if that's needed as part of the merge process, for instance if directories where added, moved or deleted. In that case, sometimes the merge operation needs to do an update.

But it only updates the affected directories, not the whole workspace (unless the merge conflict affects the workspace root directory).

If you are checking in a file and somebody created a new version while you were editing it, then Plastic asks for a merge, and in that case, it will prompt if you want to update your workspace before merging (which is normally a good idea). But the "merge from this branch" option never updates automatically!

Hope it helps!

David

Dave,

Did you try it? I was merging from my personal branch /main/oscar to the main branch /main. I clearly saw some items previously checked into /main by my colleagues copied to my workspace! Those items have nothing to do with my merge.

Thanks,

-Oscar

Archived