Clearcase migration

fastnbulbous

Hi,

We are evaluating alternative source control tools to replace ClearCase. Since we would be slowly migraitng away from clearcase, have some utilities which might make synchronising and migrating deliveries between the two version control tools would be useful.

ie we found reference to a product called clearvision which sounds like it has features we'd like to use if we were migrating to one of the supported tools there http://www.clearvision-cm.com/clearcase-subversion-git-mercurial-integration.html

Anyone know or had experiences of moving from Clearcase to plastic?

Thanks for any help

Hi there,

We're working with some teams moving away from ClearCase into Plastic. Most of them are using the new fast-import toolset in 4.0.

Simply put: if you're able to migrate to Git, then you're able to migrate to Plastic.

If you're using ClearCase I bet your team won't be small, and as such maybe you guys better benefit from direct contact to our support team. Why don't you send me an email to psantosl at codicesoftware.com and I'll take care of the details?

Thanks,

pablo

• 3 months later...

Any new info on ClearCase migration strategies? That tool you pointed to is $4K (Euro), a bit pricy. Another option that I have not tried might be Git-CC (https://github.com/charleso/git-cc), then fast-export from Git and fast-import to PlasticSCM.

Hopefully someone has some real-world experience they can share - or Plastic folks have actually tried this migration and can provide some guidance.

I'll eventually have the "joy" of migrating from SourceSafe, ClearCase and CVS into PlasticSCM. Understand the the real joy won't come until after that migration is all done though.

Greg

I migrated from CVS and from Subversion. That was a real treat! For CVS I used the Plastic 3 CVS importer and then did a fast-export from Plastic 3 to Plastic 4. That worked pretty well, especially since I could script the whole thing.

I don't have any experience with SourceSafe or ClearCase, but I'm fairly certain people have taken the orignal -> git -> plastic import strategy before.

Archived