partial updates possible?

leeh

is there a way to do a partial repo update with plastic? for instance, say someone updated a bunch of assets recently, but i only wanted to grab a specific subfolder for the time being. how would i go about doing that? if i try to just update a specific subfolder in the repo i get that "workspace out of date" error.

At least with Plastic 3.0, you can do the Update from whatever point you'd like from the Items window. So from the GUI you should be able to right-click the subfolder you're interested in and pick Update.

Not sure what that error is about, did you at some point in the past update the entire workspace? If so, you should be able to do partial updates from subfolder level within the workspace structure with no issue.

yea that's what i thought too, but it seems like everytime someone does a checkin, the workspace gets marked out of date, and then it's back to square one. is there a way to update the workspace without updating all the files? if so, that could be what i'm looking for. Otherwise it seems like a catch 22, in that i can update subfolder as long as i'm already up to date.

If there are changes in the workspace inside the path you're about to update, the operation cannot continue (shelve operation is not implemented yet in 4.0).

You can open the Pending changes view and check if you have "changed" or "checked out" items (check the 'Options' button of that view). Undo those changes or checkin them and then retry the update from whatever point of your workspace. It should work fine.

Anyway, the update is (should be) fast enough if it doesn't have nothing to do. Moreover, we're currently improving hugely the update operation to be based on the merge so that it gets the current tree and the theoretical tree that should be loaded, diff them and get just the files that it needs. This way, an update operation in a workspace with 300k items and just 3 or 4 files changes will be as fast as a workspace with 10 items and 3 or 4 files changed :-)))

Best,

Luis

so if i have pending changes i can only update from the root? that seems a little weird. with p4 you can just update from anywhere, and the system takes care of it. if there are updates to files you have changes to it either merges them or you get a conflict and have to merge them yourself, but either way updating a subfolder still works.

IF you're working on branch /main, on cset 3, and then someone else created cset 4 then:

• If you do not have pending changes: your workspace will simply jump from 3 to 4
  • If you DO have pending changes, then a "merge update" will run where your changes (3 + changes) will be merged with 4 taking 3 as basis and getting ready to checkin (with a nice merge link from 4, of course)

Is it clearer now?

well that makes sense in the case of updating from the root, which is exactly what i would expect. but when updating just a specific subfolder in the repo, instead of doing that i just get told that the workspace is out of date, and then the update fails. i'd expect the behavior you mentioned whether i'm updating from the root or updating just a subfolder, but that doesn't seem to be the case, which is what i'm not clear on.

Archived