Security issues

Although it is briefly mentioned in your overview documentation, I did not see any documentation concerning remote developer access. Publically exposing an IP address, and associated port, for remote developers to access could potentially open up serious security issues. Do you have any suggestions, best practices, whitepapers, or documentation discussing how to securely provide remote developer access to the repository? How is the connection to a server repository handled, HTTP, encrypted, etc?

Well, I said the secured communication is not "officially released", which is true, but it is totally based on a secured/standard communication mechanism, so if you want to I'll send you the instructions this week so you can start testing it. It is not an issue at all, believe me.

• 8 months later...

Hi. I'm potentially facing the same situation--needing to grant remote access. As it's now almost 9 months after the last post, has an officially supported secure/standard communication mechanism been integrated into the latest released version of Plastic? If so, I didn't see anything in the documentation about it. Can you provide some further info on this?

We have changed this extension for a new secured communication channel, that can be used as unique channel or at same time that the normal channel (unsecured channel). The channel is being using internally but it's not "officially released" yet, but it will be soon. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Hmmm. Are there instructions you can provide to enable to "unofficial" secure channel? If you don't want to post them, can you send them to me so I can evaluate it? It's more than just an inconvenience, it's a show-stopper if we can't secure the communications channel. I like the product and reallty don't want to have to revert to SVN, but without a way to do this, Plastic just won't be an option for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived