Cloaking File, Hiding changes, Ignoring files and all kinds of problems

CodingGorilla

I've been having a whole lot of problems trying cloak files, or hide the changes, I'm not even quite sure which I need to do. Essentially I have a couple of App.config files that need to be in the repository but depending on the development workstation that I'm at, some settings need to be different.

So tried cloaking the files, but then I kept getting errors telling me that changes needed to be merged, but they couldn't be because the file was cloaked. Ok, so I uncloaked the file, and then tried hiding the changes. But then I get errors doing merges telling me the files are inconsistent with a specific revision of the file. Ok, so now I un-hide the changes, try and get everything in and consistent and then try to cloak them again.

Then, I get this error from team city (apparently because I ignored the hidden_changes.conf and cloaked.conf files, which at some point had been checked in?):

The specified revision was not found C:\teamcity-config\system\caches\plasticscm\plasticscm_-7218282057110341366\hidden_changes.conf#cs:257@rep:HappyV2@repserver:dev-storage:8087;C:\TeamCity\temp\plasticscm7036728361382825528catresult\hidden_changes.conf

So I removed those files from the ignore list, and checked in an empty hidden_changes.conf file and got TeamCity building again.

Man, I love this product, but this is driving me insane. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Uhm... looks like an ugly one.

This is how cloaked works:

1- If the file IS on disk: it won't be updated or anything, it will stay as it is

2- If the file is NOT on disk, it won't be downloaded

If your file is going to be different on each workspace... why don't you keep it private?? Is it an option??

We'll double check next week in case we don't find a solution over the weekend.

The file is the app.config, so I need one in the repository so that when the application is built (on TeamCity) and published for internal testing the application has the proper configuration (database connection string, app settings, etc). And essential this is the one that I want in the repository. But when I'm working on my local workstation in the office, I use for example a local copy of the database so as not to interfere with the main test team. So I change the app.config file to point to my local SQL instance. Likewise, when I'm at home, I make similar changes to the app.config file.

What I would like is for the one in the repository never to change, and the ones on my local machines likewise never to change. Is that doable?

Archived