Visual Studio stability

Soho

Lately we have been experiencing frequent visual studio 2010 crashes (not responding, only killable with task manager) when saving files (directly or indirectly). Something like 5-10 times a day. This occurs in multiple projects with and without crashable stuff like WPF designers. Some months ago we rarely experienced crashes.

The only remotely relevant changes we can think of are updates to our ReSharper plugin and the Plastic plugin.

I am not saying it is Plastic, which crashes, but it would like to rule it out.

Does the Plastic plugin get triggered in some way when saving files in VS?

Have anybody else experienced a more frequent share of non-responding Visual Studios lately?

Can I enable detailed logging for the plugin to see if there is some pattern after a crash?

We definitely experienced the ctrl-s problem, but mostly when building or starting unit-tests, which causes a build, which sometimes causes a save.

The crash I experienced when reporting here was not while saving. I will get back if I see a pattern or if the 4.1.10.296 release has solved the problem.

No, I haven't seen that one.

I get a lot of the non-crashing ones, like this morning where it could not check in because it claimed my current changeset was null. Checking in with the Plastic GUI worked though.

These issues are not always easy to reproduce on command and when we get an issue we try to make a workaround as fast as possible, but I try to send a screendump occasionally to support.

It would however be very nice, if you cleaned up some of those generic error message. Everyone hates to get null reference exceptions and similar. It gives you no clues how to workaround the problem.

Archived