Does plastic work on Mountain Lion or any OSX for that matter?

Aaron K

I've tried installing and running various versions of plastic 4 over the last 5-6 months my Mac without success. No matter what I do, when I attempt to run the GUI client I'm always told "connection refused. localhost:8087 plastic client can't continue and will be closed". I've tried all obvious authentication types like user/password and local users but no luck. Is there anything else I have to do to my system for Plastic to work with it?

I use plastic and work on Windows machines and love it so I'd like to be able to use it at home too.

Aaron

I just tried running plasticsd on the command line from the /Applications/PlasticSCM/server directory, and was informed to look in the plastic.server.log file. Here is what the files says

2012-09-09 21:57:03,042 7a0b18f2-519a-4ab2-95f6-474b467b5afb REDACTEDUSERNAME at Server:REDACTEDCOMPUTERNAME INFO  Transaction - Transaction timeout -> 120000ms
2012-09-09 21:57:03,284  REDACTEDUSERNAME at  INFO  Channel - 'sinklevel' compression mode set. all metadata will be serialized
2012-09-09 21:57:03,284  REDACTEDUSERNAME at  INFO  Channel - 'BufferPoolMax' is set to '10'. It sets the maximum number of available buffers for object data transfers
2012-09-09 21:57:03,284  REDACTEDUSERNAME at  INFO  Channel - 'SerializationObjectsAtSink' is set to 'True'. True means SerializationBase descendants are  directly written into the response buffer
2012-09-09 21:57:03,706  REDACTEDUSERNAME at  FATAL Daemon - Configuration file '/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: No such host is known

Hi Aaron!

It should work! Let's see.

1) Mountain Lion by default has no X11:

X11 is not included with Mountain Lion, but X11 server and client libraries for OS X Mountain Lion are available from Quartz project.

You can read about it in this URL: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

And quick download is here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

XQuartz downloaded is a dmg file. The process of installation is easy.

2) The server log is complaining about the remoting.conf file. Can you check if the file exists? Can you try to run the "ConfigureServer" tool?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Manu. I have XQuartz installed because dialogs appear OK, and of course the icon for XQuartz appears in the dock when I run the plastic client GUI. The remoting.conf file is there. Here's its contents if that's of any value.

<configuration>
   <system.runtime.remoting>
       <application>
           <channels>
               <channel type="Codice.Channels.PlasticTcpChannel,plastictcpchannel" port="8087" name="normal">
                   <serverProviders>
                       <formatter type="Codice.Channels.PlasticBinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" typeFilterLevel="Full" Compression="sinklevel" SerializationObjectsAtSink="true" BufferPoolMax="10"/>
                       <provider type="Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSinkProvider, servercommon" />
                   </serverProviders>
                   <clientProviders>
                       <provider type="Codice.Channels.ClientSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" />
                       <formatter ref="binary" />
                   </clientProviders>
               </channel>

<channel type="Codice.Channels.PlasticSecuredTcpChannel, plastictcpchannel" port="8088" sslPfxFile="ssl-certificate.pfx" sslPfxFilePassword="|SoC|2ogBDa8GmifTjC7UKp4KuoF0/jWYlXy2" name="secured">
                   <serverProviders>
                       <formatter type="Codice.Channels.PlasticBinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" typeFilterLevel="Full" Compression="sinklevel" SerializationObjectsAtSink="true" BufferPoolMax="10"/>
                       <provider type="Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSinkProvider, servercommon" />
                   </serverProviders>
                   <clientProviders>
                       <provider type="Codice.Channels.ClientSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" />
                       <formatter ref="binary" />
                   </clientProviders>
               </channel>
           </channels>
       </application>
   </system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>

Hi Manu, I'm sure we could probably sort something out where our times aren't too insane (I'm NZDT). However, it looks like the plastic server isn't even running and when I run plasticd or plasticsd (Which ones should I run) I get errors like so,

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 12: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 14: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 16: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 18: xmodmap: command not found

and if I run pasticsd I get

Aarons-iMac:config aarons$ plasticsd start

Warning: /tmp/plasticd4.exe.lock lock file exists but process is not running.

rm: /tmp/plasticd4.exe.lock: Permission denied

Starting PlasticSCM server: /Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 12: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 14: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 16: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 18: xmodmap: command not found

Warning: /tmp/plasticd4.exe.lock lock file exists but process is not running.

Unable to start PlasticSCM server. Refer to the plastic.server.log file, placed in the plastic server location, for more details. FAILED

Ok, let's try the following:

1) Try to find is there's a plasticd process already ruunning and kill them.

ps -fA | grep plasticd

2) Try to run the following command:

sudo mono plasticd.exe --console

Tell me if it works. Meanwhile I will try to find information about the "xmodmap: command not found" error, which it seems to be something related with the X11.

Result of 1

502 19610 19585 0 6:53pm ttys000 0:00.00 grep plasticd

Result of 2

Configuration file '/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: No such host is known

NOTE: I had to cd into the mono bin directory to run it and of course then use a relative path to plastics.exe. Not sure if paths should have already been set up by the installer or not.

Cheers

Aaron

If I edit the remoting.conf so that it doesn't read the configuration (Change " <system.runtime.remoting>" to "<systdem.runtime.remoting>" then the service starts and the client config app can find it when I search with "...". However it still can't connect, which is no surprise given the config has been changed.

Not sure if that helps.

Edit: I tried to connect again after killing the daemon and now the client can't find the server even in the client config dialog.

Haha yes I did but with sudo on the front otherwise I get "access is denied errors"

As I mentioned I got the same output "Configuration file '/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: No such host is known"

plastic.server.log shows

2012-10-04 18:59:01,281 0b37c750-13d8-4e90-a607-e916f03fa484 root at Server:MYMACHINE INFO  Transaction - Transaction timeout -> 120000ms
2012-10-04 18:59:01,616  root at  INFO  Channel - 'sinklevel' compression mode set. all metadata will be serialized
2012-10-04 18:59:01,616  root at  INFO  Channel - 'BufferPoolMax' is set to '10'. It sets the maximum number of available buffers for object data transfers
2012-10-04 18:59:01,616  root at  INFO  Channel - 'SerializationObjectsAtSink' is set to 'True'. True means SerializationBase descendants are  directly written into the response buffer
2012-10-04 18:59:01,691  root at  FATAL Daemon - Configuration file '/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: No such host is known

OK, let's see if something is wrong with the "remoting.conf" file...

Run "clconfigureserver" tool in order to check if you are able to change the port. Let's try to use a different one. Check also the "remoting.conf" file permissions, let's see if it has the right permissions to be read by the server.

OK it looks like server.conf didn't have the correct permissions. For some reason my username wasn't on the list of permissions for that file. I added me to the "Server" directory and everything under it. Still however, when I run the server with the sudo mono --console (or even with --console --stack) I still get that No such host is known error. A grep of the processes still shows nothing.

I just did a full permission repair and still no go.

Ok.

Let's do the following:

0) Run: "mono clconfigureserver.exe" and reconfigure the server.

1) Remove the plastic.server.log file you will find in the server directory.

2) Try to start again the server "mono plasticd.exe --console"

3) Post us the plastic.server.log file content.

2012-10-09 19:49:16,056 6b313a5f-09e2-4851-a4db-0ec2977fa687 MYLOGINNAME at Server:Aarons-iMac INFO Transaction - Transaction timeout -> 120000ms

2012-10-09 19:49:17,251 MYLOGINNAME at INFO Channel - 'sinklevel' compression mode set. all metadata will be serialized

2012-10-09 19:49:17,251 MYLOGINNAME at INFO Channel - 'BufferPoolMax' is set to '10'. It sets the maximum number of available buffers for object data transfers

2012-10-09 19:49:17,251 MYLOGINNAME at INFO Channel - 'SerializationObjectsAtSink' is set to 'True'. True means SerializationBase descendants are directly written into the response buffer

2012-10-09 19:49:17,336 MYLOGINNAME at FATAL Daemon - Configuration file '/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: No such host is known

I'll remind you (In case it's relevant) that mono, nor clconfigureserver is in my path and I'm not sure I need it to be. I have to cd to mono directory and then relative path to clconfigureserver, or relativepath mono.

Hi Manu, thanks. This is a weird problem for sure and it has also occurred for me pre Mountain Lion also. If we can't resolve it could we do a gotomeeting so you can take a quick look? It'd be a real shame to not be able to use Plastic and unfortunately I don't have another machine I could run the server on.

Aaron

Let's do it!

1. Please join my meeting.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/join/578225762

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

Australia: +61 2 8355 1030

Austria: +43 (0) 7 2088 1406

Bélgica: +32 (0) 28 08 4296

Canadá: +1 (647) 497-9370

Dinamarca: +45 (0) 69 91 89 33

Finlandia: +358 (0) 942 59 9121

Francia: +33 (0) 182 880 462

Alemania: +49 (0) 811 8899 6925

Irlanda: +353 (0) 14 845 982

Italia: +39 0 247 92 12 41

Países Bajos: +31 (0) 208 080 384

Nueva Zelanda: +64 (0) 9 925 0313

Noruega: +47 21 04 29 12

España: +34 911 82 9783

Suecia: +46 (0) 852 503 473

Suiza: +41 (0) 225 3314 54

Reino Unido: +44 (0) 207 151 1804

Estados Unidos: +1 (626) 521-0010

Access Code: 578-225-762

Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 578-225-762

GoToMeeting®

Online Meetings Made Easy™

Not at your computer? Click the link to join this meeting from your iPhone®, iPad® or Android® device via the GoToMeeting app.

I've been reading about the error, try the following:

On OSX you'd have to:

1. Open preferences pane

2. Click on Sharing

3. Click on the "Edit button" right under "Computer Name"

4. Enter a valid DNS name (which maps to your ip address on your DNS server) in the Local Host Name field.

Also review your /etc/hosts file, make sure your /etc/hosts includes:

127.0.0.1 YourHostName

where YourHostName is actually the name of you computer, so there's an entry and it can be properly resolved.

Finally make sure the plastic/mono process can read that file, the easiest solution -> grant full permissions and change the user and group with a more open one.

Archived