PlasticSCM server logging issue (and failure to run daemon)

bryantfp

Hi, I posted this on StackOverflow and the resolution was that this may be an issue for support which lead me to here. My question:

I just installed PlasticSCM under CentOS 5. Everything, including dependencies, installed nice and clean looking on the server but the software refuses to launch and will not write any log file contents at all.

When running PlasticSCM, I use this command:

"./plasticsd start"

About a minute passes and then it responds:

Starting PlasticSCM server: Unable to start PlasticSCM server. PleaseFAILED a look at the plastic.server.log file, placed in the plastic server location, for more details.

The system will not write any log data.

FWIW, I did the exact same install on a CentOS 6 system and everything is running flawlessly. I can't see any differences between the two so that makes this extra perplexing for me.

Additional testing on the CentOS 5 system running (as root) "./plasticd --console" and "./plasticd --daemon" launches the server fine from the shell and produce log output, but running the script still just fails (with the strange failure message and no logging data).

Additionally, if I get the server running by one of the two methods above and then try to launch the daemon script in a seperate shell, I still get the exact same failure message in that shell. I do not get a notice that the server is already running.

Any help would be greatfully appricated. Thanks in advance.

"mono plasticd.exe --console" appeared to launch:

Creating ServerSink

Creating ServerSink

Plastic SCM daemon up. 4.1.10.341 778 ms startup time

But I can't connect to it with the client, so it would appear that it isn't really working? The log is working though and showing tons of errors. It was working when I ran it with "./plasticd --console" though (in fact, I just tried that again and it works). So basically, it launches but fails to work if I launch it via mono.

(I'm in Phoenix, AZ, USA. MST without the -7 is probably more correct, for whatever reason that's how I've always seen it, shrugh)

Ok, do you have that CentOS iso? Can you tell me if you downloaded it from somewhere? I want to test it.

There's obviously an issue with the script, can you confirm me, or not, that as root running "./plasticd --console" the server starts and the client can connect with it?

Well, I believe the original install was Centos 5.5 from an ISO downloaded directly from Cent (likely the torrent mirror). I don't have the raw ISO still as I committed it to a Disc and that is what I have on hand. Since then it has been fully updated via Yum to the most recent versions of everything so it would not necessarily reflect the original ISO state at this point anyways.

Yes, it's clearly a script issue, and I think at this point the break is clearly occuring related to the launching via Mono (confirmed in my mind by your test above where we tried to launch it through Mono and it failed) as it never even get's past that part of the script to even get to the script code that checks to see if the daemon is already running.

As for root running "./plasticd --console". Yes I can confirm that this does in deed work. The server functions and handles client as I would expect. It also appears to work correctly with root running "./plasticd --daemon" (for what it's worth).

Thanks!

Archived