Migrate Back End to SQL Server 2012

So installed and had the CE system working fine. And wanted to migrate to SQL Server 2012.

I tried to use the migration tool which failed.

The database {0} can't be created. Check the server log (plastic.server.log). Error: {1} at Codice.CM.Data.BaseDataManager.ExecuteCreateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, String contentResourceName)

at Codice.CM.Data.BaseDataManager.CreateRepositoriesData()

at admintool.RepositoriesDatabaseCopier.CreateDestinationDb()

at admintool.DatabaseCopier.Start()

at admintool.DatabaseMigrator.MigrateDatabases()

at admintool.DatabaseMigrator.Start()

and I then went to update my db.conf file route and I do now have it working. Of course that isn't migrating but since I had nothing in it didn't matter.

video of the process to reproduce the above error is located https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7761816/2012-10-09_1712.swf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears to be a file permission issue, as when I specified the path as the sql server default path, it worked without error.

Indeed, this solves the problem. Thank you very, very much.

The default path would be something like:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.YOURINSTANCE\MSSQL\DATA

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar problem with starting a new instance with SQL Server 2012, but my instance is configured to use Windows authentication (rather than separate db-supplied login credentials). I see that there is an example using "trusted_connections=yes" and I've changed my db.conf file to use that.

What are the steps I should take to start a new instance?

Hi jdharley,

you can use that authentication mode with a selector like the following:

<DbConfig>
 <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
 <ConnectionString>SERVER=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;trusted_connection=yes;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
</DbConfig>

check if the databases are created, you should see something like:

C:\Users\Manuel>cm lrep
1 default localhost:8087

if you want to specify a custom database path you will need to use a "db.conf" file like the following, make sure the SqlServer process has write permissions on the desired databases path.

<DbConfig>
 <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
 <ConnectionString>SERVER=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;trusted_connection=yes;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
 <DatabasePath>d:\repositories</DatabasePath>
</DbConfig>

If you don't see any database check the server log (c:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server\plastic.server.log), search for errors in the database connection. You can post the log file to us in order to review it.

Archived