db/server move, problems associating checked out items with new machine/server

mcd

so, this is an sql move and was a bit of an experiment, as i wasn't able to find any info on how to handle this completely. new server had a different computer name, thus, the new sql server reflects this name. this seems like not a big deal at first, but i discovered would cause me some issues later.

so, first step, was to detach all the db's from the old server, copy them over to the new server/machine, and reattach them. so far so good. however, plastic does not see any of these newly attached repositories/workspaces, so, you must re-add the workpsace names and repositories manually (i did this in the gui). ok, no problem. now i can see all the files, and all the branches, great, and individually, they open up fine. however, this is where the problems start, all of the files are associated with the old machine, so if you attempt to work on them on the new machine, visual studio, in my case, does not identify that these files are under source control. attempting to rebind the project for a specific branch caused errors, which at the moment i cannot remember what they were exactly, i can only remember my work around. which was: i went through all the plastic settings files, whether they were the wktree files, the conf files, whether they were in the local plastic folder, the project folder or in the windows application data folder for plastic, and switched any and all references in these files of the old machine name to the new machine name. this worked relatively great. all checked-in files were now correctly associated with the new server/machine and i could open up the solution, rebind, and everything was fine. however, this only worked for checked-in files. NONE of the checkouts were changed to the new machine name and i haven't figured out any way to switch the checked-out files, in one go, to the new machine.

my only workaround at the moment, is to find all the checkouts for a certain branch under the old machine name, and then copy paste the changes into the files and essentially recreate the checkouts on the new machine. this is tedious and i'm hoping there's a better way. if anyone has any ideas, i'd very much appreciate hearing them.

thanks!

You have to review all your checkouts and decide which one you want to preserve and commit.

I can't imagine of a better way of doing it. Sorry. In Plastic 3, specially when you are moving between server machines you should first to ensure all your checkouts are committed.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

We are now in Plastic SCM 4.1 and sooner it will be 4.2 are you thinking about migrating from 3?

Archived