Bad network performance

omri

I deployed a plastic server for a customer in Amazon S3. Developers working at the US are generally happy with client performance, but outside of the US working with Plastic is near impossible:

- Client hangs

- Frequent errors of type "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time"

- updating a single file may take up to 3 minutes!

It is important to note that the server is up, works for all, and is accessible to the client at reasonable throughput. The only difference I could identify is that it has ~170ms network latency

Can such latency explain client break-up?

How can this be overcome?

Hi omri,

If it's working fine for the USA team and not from the outside the issue must be with the Amazon network configuration.

It would be great to open a Putty to the server machine, set the server "ChannelCall" log to the interactive console mode and run a "cm lrep" command from the pc that's outside the US. We'll be able to monitor how much time does the call take.

I'm afraid we can't do much for you since it's obviously a network issue :(

Did not get to checking ChannelCall log, but I did get another PC hooked on the same (non-us) lan - and it worked well.

So I decided to delete and re-create the workspace.

Things seem to be working right now, so it may have been related to some workspace corruption (?!) - I will continue monitoring.

If problem returns - I will check ChannelCall log.

Thanks for the support!

Archived