Best Practice to Upgrade to Latest Version

Hi,

I was interested to know what the best process is to update the running software to the latest version.

I currently have 3 machines running version 4.1.10.280 - Oslo. I would like to keep them up to date and not lose any data that already exists.

2 of the machines are developers machines running a local server and they each replicate changes with a central server.

To do the update is it best to just run the installer for the new version?

What part of the install don't I need to run?

Do I need to restart the services, or is that done?

Are all the settings preserved?

Do all machines need to be on the same version, or is it OK for them to be on version 4 or 4.1?

If there is a document that goes through how to do an update could you point me to it. I couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Hello Peter,

it's really simple.

To do the update is it best to just run the installer for the new version?

Sure, download the installer of last release and use it.

What part of the install don't I need to run?

If you are downloading the full installer and your developers are working distributed you will need to keep enabled the "Server" component. In addition to that make sure you select the VS package or the shell extension or the eclipse plugin and so on. (if you are going to use them)

This selection will be remembered, so, the next time you upgrade the settings will be enabled by default.

Do I need to restart the services, or is that done?

The Plastic SCM service is restarted by the installer automatically.

Are all the settings preserved?

Sure, the license file and all the configuration files are preserved. Of course, the local databases too.

Do all machines need to be on the same version, or is it OK for them to be on version 4 or 4.1?

Not necessarily on the same version, we keep the compatibility so, right now this is the map:

A 4.1.10.Y release is compatible with all the 4.1.10.X series.

Under a mayor release 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 you need to take a look into the third number, this number is the one that keeps the compatibility under mayor releases.

Of course the mayor releases are not compatible between each other, so a 4.1 can't never talk with a 4.2 or 4.0.

Archived