Conflicts with multiple developers on one Visual Studio project with source control

Exon02

Hello,

In my copy of a project's .csproj file i have a reference to an assembly:

<ProjectReference Include="..\..\..\..\..\Components\Stackoverflow.NET Library\Stackoverflow Dot Net Library.csproj"> <Project>{CFF8D7A7-D7D9-4460-84E6-E44FD9D33ACF}</Project> <Name>Stackoverflow Dot Net Library</Name> </ProjectReference> 

Whenever another developers get's the version of that .csproj file, Plastic scm checked the file out and changed it to:

<ProjectReference Include="..\..\..\..\Stackoverflow DotNet Library\Stackoverflow Dot Net Library.csproj"> <Project>{CFF8D7A7-D7D9-4460-84E6-E44FD9D33ACF}</Project> <Name>Stackoverflow Dot Net Library</Name> </ProjectReference> 

When he checks that in, the same thing happens with me

<ProjectReference Include="..\..\..\..\..\Components\Stackoverflow.NET Library\Stackoverflow Dot Net Library.csproj"> <Project>{CFF8D7A7-D7D9-4460-84E6-E44FD9D33ACF}</Project> <Name>Stackoverflow Dot Net Library</Name> </ProjectReference> 

And then another developer modifies the file to:

<ProjectReference Include="C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Develop\VS2010\Stackoverflow.NET Library\Stackoverflow Dot Net Library.csproj"> <Project>{CFF8D7A7-D7D9-4460-84E6-E44FD9D33ACF}</Project> <Name>Stackoverflow Dot Net Library</Name> </ProjectReference> 

And then next checkin i have to change it back to:

Given that the library assembly:

• is another project in the same solution
  • is built with the solution
  • is not installed in the GAC (i.e. is built with the solution)
  • is on a different path on different machines
  • and Visual Studio does not support shared files

how can we have multiple developers working on the same solution without having to check the solution file out?

Hi Bram, it seems that there is a problem with the path(absolute/relative). 
You should set the workspace, so that the reference paths to projects are always in the same relative path, regardless of the workspace. 
I can see that Jeff´s copy of the project points to "Documents" folder. 
Can you check if all the relative paths are the same in all the workspaces? Also please check all workspaces are under version control.

A good idea, could be to create a folder where you put all your assemblies in the workspace. This way you have the same folder in all workspaces and developers can point to that assemblies always using the same relative path.

Regards, Carlos

Archived