Fisheye + Plastic + Jira

SilverKnight

With CVS, I'm able to use the source tab in a jira issue to see the change sets.  It is also able to perform a diff to see what lines actually changed.  This information is presented to Jira through the FishEye integration point (it scans the CVS repository for items that were committed with a comment containing a Jira issue number listed in the comment)

Is this supposed to be possible with the Plastic SCM Fisheye+Crucible repositories plug-in?

I also have the Plastic -> Crucible plug-in installed (and functional!) so that I can perform code reviews through Crucible on the same server, as well as the Jira plug-in for issue linking to branches (which puts a "change set" field on the associated Jira issue).

My main question is: Is it possible for the Jira->Fisheye link to function with the Plastic repositories defined in that configuration similar to how they do with the native CVS support?

E.g. The projects show up in the administration under the "Plastic SCM" Tab of the "Plug-ins" Tab of the "Repositories" configuration section - but when trying to link a repository in Jira to a Fisheye Repository, only the "native" plug-in repositories are listed (the Plastic SCM defined repositories are not).  

Selecting "source" on the issue in Jira doesn't list any changes - and the custom field approach doesn't let me browse differences to see what changed to fix the issue.

Would this work if instead of configuring Plastic as "Branch per task" that it be configured for "Branch per change set"?

Am I missing some other configuration setting, or is this a limitation of Jira+Fisheye?

I'm just looking to have my cake and eat it too - so far, I really like what I've seen with Plastic! though it has been quite a learning experience getting these pieces integrated.

So far:

I've transferfed 5 projects (with history) from CVS to Plastic 3.x using the guimport utility

Fast-Export from 3.x with a Fast-Import to Plastic 4.x platform connected to MS SQL server (that was fun getting installed!)

Re-configured all my Jira pieces to use LDAP auth (Oh Joy!)

Installed and configured the Plastic->Jira plug-ins (big learning curve there, trying to figure out the necessary permissions and configurations - most of which came from this community!  Thank you all!)

Tried to configure Jira with each Plastic repository (failure here - still trying to figure it out - may not be possible yet, so I have only 1 project functional)

Got the links to work with a single project and have the custom field showing "changed files" for the task

--Now, just looking to retain the previous change set information on the source tab of Jira with the new SCM :) (which so far is not looking too promising)  Have to say that I've only spent 2 days so far doing the configuration, starting pretty much from ground zero.  All in all, not to bad.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the reply. 

I notice that the latest Fisheye is supporting GIT, and thought Atlassian might have an API available to support other SCMs.

Since we have migrated to Plastic, we have also updated our Jira instance, and decided to drop Fisheye anyway.  We are moving completely away from CVS for all projects, and since Plastic didn't support Fisheye, it seemed unnecessary to upgrade that plug-in.  We have integrated Plastic with Jira using the custom field, but would have preferred it to show under the source control tab instead of an editable field.  Fortunatly, the field can be collapsed so it doesn't make for a "huge page" when viewing the issue.  Just need to figure out how to NOT show that field when opening the issue for Edit...

Hi,

As you said, custom field can be collapsed when viewing an issue. When editing an issue the field is not so huge, why do you need to hide the field?

Regards,

Carlos

When you EDIT the issue, a user can enter data in that custom field - there isn't a way (in Jira) to mark it as "read only" when editing, but allow Plastic to update it (unless I am missing something)

Just another thought...

With Jira 6 - there is a new DVCS plug-in that supports BitBucket and GitHub -- do you believe this plug-in could be connected to Plastic from a centralized (internal) plastic server?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Use+the+JIRA+DVCS+Connector+Plugin

Or, would I have to set up some BitBucket/Git software or link externally (some URL) with the internal Plastic server?

In other words, I don't know anything about how BitBucket or GitHub actually function, but I do recall that Plastic integrates with those products.  Does plastic appear AS a GitHub or a BitBucket server [e.g. in some sort of cluster]?  or is this integration more an an API/Web service level where Plastic knows the protocol to talk to those products, but doesn't otherwise act like they do (e.g. no web service interface implemented in plastic that looks like GitHub or BitBucket)?

It might be interesting if the Plastic Community could request the feature to have this DVCS plug-in updated to support Plastic directly...

Here are some links from the page above for feature requests - the last link allows users to request features: <hint, hint>

• For JIRA download users, the latest version of the JIRA DVCS Connector is available for download from Atlassian Plugin Exchange.
  • The Bitbucket links feature offers a similar functionality for JIRA  and other services.
  • If you want to report a new issue, provide feedback, or require help, please raise a request in the issue tracker for JIRA DVCS Connector project.

Hi,

Plastic servers are not available on GitHub or BitBucket. But Plastic is able to connect with them through GitSync feature (http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2013/03/gitsync-is-out-native-windows-dvcs.html). You can work on projects with people using git and Plastic at the same time.

At the moment, we don´t have cloud service servers implemented in Plastic that looks like GitHub or BitBucket (some news soon ;)). Once we have this kind of service, would be great to add these new features. You can add your suggestion to our uservoice page: http://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general

Regards,

Carlos

Archived