What is the code reviews workflow in PSCM?

diegohb

I'm trying to understand the code-review process as designed in plastic... Who creates the code-review item, the developer who made the changes requests it by creating it and assigning it to the architect or teammate? This teammate then approves or discards the code-review? What does it mean to discard a code-review?

Thank you and I apologize as i'm only familiar with the concept, never done formal code-reviews but I think it's greatly facilitated with Plastic's integrated functionality for it.

Hi Diego!

no problem! we are here to help :)

We use an issue tracking system with several steps:

0) Create the task/issue

1) Assign Developer

2) Develop

3) Close development step

4) Assign reviewer

5) Review step (Not done by the same developer, someone else)

5.1) Create the review in Plastic SCM -> Right click in the branch -> "New code review...."

The assignee in this case is the one who is creating and it's going to perform the code review.

5.2) Perform the code review

6) Finish the code review.

6.1) If the code needs to be slightly changed the status should be "Pending". Task goes to step "2"

6.2) If the code is nice the status should be "Approved",  the task workflow can continue.

6.3) If the code is horrible and the developer is going to spend more time fixing than creating a new implementation the status should be "Discarded", the task workflow goes to "0".

7) Manual testing.

8) Automatic testing.

The developer gets notified if the task is having a Pending code review or a Discarded code review. If the code review is Approved it time to perform the manual checks and the automatic testing, of course if some of this last steps 

Let me know if you need more details!

In #6.1 - does the assignee change to the developer from #3?

Alternatively, between 3 and 4 - the developer creates code review "request" by creating a code review in palstic and assigns to another developer?

Thanks for the info..  i'm thinking about incorporating this into our CI process.

In #6.1 - does the assignee change to the developer from #3?

Sorry, I don't understand can you please explain it?

Alternatively, between 3 and 4 - the developer creates code review "request" by creating a code review in palstic and assigns to another developer?

Actually, in our workflow, the code review is created by the reviewer, it's because we are closely tied to our bug/task tracking system, so when the develop finish the task the reviewer is notified to start reviewing.

Archived