Text-only interface

Angew

Hi all.

I'm primarily a Windows user, but I have to work on Linux machines as well. I use an SSH client (PuTTY). It seems to me some operations of 'cm' don't really work without an X server. For example, 'cm diff some/file' simply hangs. Am I doing something wrong? How can I use Plastic in a console-only environment?

Thanks.

Angew

Hi ,

If you try to diff a file "cm diff file.txt" a window tries to open to show you the differences. I you are using only console mode, you can use the diff command this way: "cm diff [options] version1 [version2]"

eg.

cm diff cs:1 cs:2 

You can check "cm --help" to figure out how to perform the operations using command line.

Regards,

Carlos

Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to use this to view the differences in a file? I tried this:

cm diff path/to/file#1775 path/to/file#1774

but without an X server, it hangs. And running with an X server, it produces an error window claiming "Unsupported file types for binary diff. Only images are supported (...)". The file is a C++ header, pure text. What could the problem be?

Hi,

By default, Plastic tries to use merge-tool that is a graphic tool. But you are able to configure a different diff tool. In client.conf file (plastic client folder) you will be able to specify a different one. Using the GUI (Preferences tab). 

Regarding the second questions, it seems that Plastic is detecting the file a binary. Using the GUI: Items --> Change revision type --> Text . If you are not able to use the GUI, execute the next batch (changing .cshtml by your format") file:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%i IN ('dir /S /B *.cshtml') DO cm chgrevtype %%i -type=txt

Regards,

Carlos

Archived