v4 Migration issues

Hello,

I've been trying to migrate our Plastic v3 installation to v4 for a few weeks now. Out of about 30 repositories, all but 3 have been successfull.

2 of the remaining 3 appear to have the same problem. When fast-export is run, before it begins processing, it lists a number of changesets stating that they are out of order. When it begins processing, it processes changeset 1, then 923, then 2, then 924, then 3, etc. until it gets past the out of order changesets. Looking at the main branch in v3 Branch Explorer, the changesets are indeed numbered in that pattern, but appear to be identical duplicates. Most of those changesets don't  show up in Branch Explorer, only in Changesets view, first visible changeset is 753. I'm assuming this has been that way since they were originally exported from SVN, since they all occur before the first branch was created (they all exist on main). Aside from that it appears to export ok.

When I pass that file to fast-import, it runs in some sort of loop until the SQL db file eats up all remaing disk space. The 350MB export grew to over 6GB, and the 1.5GB export grew to almost 60GB.

I would have no problem dropping the offending changesets if that's a possibility. Is there any way to exclude specified changesets during either import or export?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

unrelated, but thought it might be of interest:

There was an issue with all changesets containing curvy braces {} in the comment throwing an 'input string was not in correct format' exception (unsanitized String.Format?)

Removing braces from comments cleared that error allowing the export to complete.

Any idea why I wouldn't be able to run fast-export with --no-data?

C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client> cm fast-export repo@server:8084 --no-data

returns

fast-export: Unexpected option --no-data

help only lists --check for available options.

cm version

I just upgraded from .37 to see if that helped. Am I doing something wrong?

I've emailed a copy of the nodata export to support. Since upgrading to .38 though, I don't get the 'out of order' messages anymore.

I ran the export again without nodata and got a much larger file this time (550MB vs 350MB). It did display an error at the very end of the import, saying 'Commit 1 was already added' followed by info about the last few marks. My Branch Explorer looks almost identical to what it did in v3 except for changeset 0.

Changeset 0 was added to the main branch with todays date and a comment of 'Root Dir'. I don't know if this is a problem or not.

I will retry the other repository and see how it weathers the newer version. It takes over 3hrs to export, so it'll be a bit on that one.

Ok, please update us when the other repository is successfully migrated.  

Regarding the first repository, I remember we had a similar issue with changeset 0, but it was fixed. Which Plastic 4 version are you using?

Regards,

Carlos

There had been an update since I started the migration, so I upgraded my v4 install to the latest available (.443). The larger repository has now imported successfully, but I'm still having the same issue with the originally attempted one.

I noticed it did start from changeset 0 this time, I'm pretty sure it had started with changeset 1 previously. After the final changeset has been processed, it throws an error saying commit 1 has already been added. In branch explorer, changeset 0 is the last changeset on the main branch dated with the current date.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Hi Shane,

You can start working. The only thing is you will find your changeset 0 on the right of your branch explorer. But it shouldn´t stop you working. 

Which is your backend? I´m going to test a migration from Plastic 3 to 4 to check if I can reproduce and fix the issue.

Best regards,

Carlos

Thanks, I merged an open branch onto main and it "stepped over" changeset 0. Looks like it's OK.

post-6192-0-16885100-1369843279_thumb.png

I'm using MS SQL 2008 R2 for the backend. I can resend the nodata export if it'll help.

Only one more to go.

Archived