Using Plastic at Home and Work

kcenac

Hi,

I'm currently using plastic at home and i'll like to have a setup where i can sync whatever i'm doing (branches etc) at home with my plastic work client. i see alot of documentation on the different distribution options but nothing on how to implement them. i was thinking about setting up an amazon windows server as my master server and use it as a central point where my work and home plastic client and server can update to but it might be overkill. what setups are some of you guys using to do this?

For me, I have a server at work - for work related projects.  I VPN into work and just connect to the projects there over the VPN.

At home, I also have my own server (in a VM) for personal projects and a port forward on my router for getting to those projects from outside the home.

I wondered the same thing.  It seems that I should be able to setup my laptop/mobile with it's own server as a "proxy" and pull my home repositories as well as my work repositories, then be able to push them back to their respective servers when in the appropriate place.  Seemed a little overkill, so I didn't bother, since I can usually access either one on the road (either via VPN to work, or direct through my router) -- the only problem with this scenario is that I have to always be connected to deal with SCM.  I can't check in unless connected, but then I don't have to deal with sync issues either.

I guess I'm used to the "centralized" mode and didn't really have a pressing need to move to the (true) "distributed" mode.

Hi,

Depending of your scenario, you could prefer to work centralized or distributed. Plastic allows both configurations.

Pablo recently made an interesting post if your thinking to work in a distributed way:http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-anatomy-of-distributed-development.html

We have another great post comparing and explaining both configurations: http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2010/12/dvcs-for-everyone.html

Regards,

Carlos

Archived