DB backend migration: out-of-date parameters during connection test

marioo

I was recently migrating from the default SQL Compact database backend to MS SQL, using the migration wizard. Before you can start the migration, you have to test database connection based on the parameters you entered. I noticed that when you perform the test once and then repeat it after changing some of the parameters, the previously used ones are used instead for the test.

If I remember correctly, before the first connection test I entered a wrong database user name, and the test failed. When I corrected the user name and repeated the test, it still failed showing me a message box with the invalid user name I used during the previous test. What was strange about it, it seemed that the new settings were finally accepted after I waited for a dozen or so seconds and then repeated the test. Nevertheless I decided to restart the migration wizard and make sure to enter valid connection parameters at once.

There is one more issue in the wizard. I don't know if I should create a new thread or is it enough to mention it within this one.

When you eventually start the migration and an error occurs (e.g. the user you specified is not a DB creator, and databases can't be created), a form with an error message is displayed. The message contains exception details with the "{0}" markers. It looks as if someone had forgotten to use string.Format(...) to substitute them with appropriate information. Can you verify that as well?

And one more thing. When the migration started, at some point I wanted to move the progress window down slightly so I could see the connection parameters form below it. But at the moment I clicked the top bar of the window, an exception message was displayed to me (a .NET exception window) letting me continue or quit the application. I continued, but the process stopped and I could do nothing but close the wizard and repeat the whole process from the very beginning (manually deleting the already created databases on the MS SQL server first).

At that moment It turned out to be impossible (an error message was shown to me when the migration started, but I didn't copy the content to post it here). Fortunately before the migration I created a copy of the complete installation folder of PlasticSCM with the .sdf database files. When I restored it and repeated the migration, everything went fine (I decided not to touch anything until the process finishes ;-) ).

I apologize my posts are so vague, but they are bases on what I experienced once. I didn't investigate any of these problems further to give you more reliable details.

I apologize my posts are so vague, but they are bases on what I experienced once. I didn't investigate any of these problems further to give you more reliable details.

Don't worry Marioo!! We are here to listen and improve so all the information is welcomed.

Let us debug the issue and fix it.

Sorry for the inconveniences, at least you have the databases migrated! :)

Yep, the migration eventually succeeded :). And the Plastic SCM client seems to download and upload data much faster now. I don't know if this is related to the database backend change or the optimizations you made in the last release. Or maybe both of them :).

Archived